Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casi_gw

Fruit flies! Countertop compost?

casi
9 years ago

I'm thinking of ordering a countertop compost jar but I was wondering about the holes being attractant for fruit flies? I have had a problem all season with them as it is. Anyone have experience with one of these?

Comments (8)

• malna
    9 years ago

I had one a few years back. The fruit flies got in through the holes and they laid their eggs in the filter on top (since they couldn't get through the filter). PITA to clean plus the filter got moldy if I filled it too full and left it for a day too long.

Now I use a graniteware 2 quart bucket with a handle (I think I got it for 50 cents at a yard sale), put some newspaper in the bottom and a glass plate on top for a lid. I still get fruit flies, but they're not nearly as bad. I just take the whole thing outside to open it, then dump it. Washes easily, too.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I just use an old canister with a lid that seals. It gets emptied almost every day so I don't worry about it going anaerobic. The composting happens outside, not in the house.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Simple solution.

Put some fine mesh nylon tulle on the mouth of jar, held with some elastic band.

Some times we cover fruits bowl like that. Fruit flies not allowed in !! (sign said . hehe)

• kmarissa
    9 years ago

I had a countertop compost container and did have trouble with it. I wasn't able to empty it every day, and (for me) even leaving it for a few days did result in smell, fruit flies and even one really gross fly larvae incident. Seems like many people have no issues with them, but I certainly did.

I ended up buying this compost collector that you store in your freezer and I couldn't be happier with it. It's probably a bit on the small size for a large family, but it works well for me: no flies, no smell, and if the plastic gets icky I can throw it in the dishwasher between compost loads. It even seems to me that freezing and thawing the food scraps helps them break down more quickly, although it's possible that's just my imagination.

That said, you could probably use just about any freezer-safe container for compost storage rather than buying this particular item, if you wanted to go that route.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freezer Compost Collector

• casi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input. I had a feeling that it would be an issue. They just look so much nicer that what I have the scraps accumulating in....drawing fruit flies. Our compost pile is way out the end of the yard and I'm bad about letting it set a little longer than I should! Would be nice if dear husband felt the need to empty it every now and then!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Long discussion about this over on the Compost Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compost collector

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

A little water a drop of dish soap and name brand vinegar in a cup will act as a trap for fruit flies

• defrost49
    9 years ago

My husband made a fruit fly/gnat trap, too. Poked holes in plastic wrap then put it over a jar containing apple cider vinegar. They can get in, but not out.

Yes, certain food scraps really attract tiny flying insects. The filter on my stainless steel compost can is like a thick plastic scrubbie. I put it in a bowl of water and bowl it every so often to kill anything that might be lurking in it.