Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

Apple Butter: To Sieve or Not To Sieve

gardengrl
12 years ago

When making my apple butter in the past, I've usually just peeled and cored my apples, cooked them, and then processed them in a food processor to break them down into applesauce (not too thin). Then I cook, add sugar/spices, etc...

I've read that sieving (sp?) the cooked apples makes a bigger difference in the flavor; is this true? To me, I've never really noticed a difference.

Do you use a sieve for your applebutter and applesauce?

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I have always run mine through a food mill, never done any chunky or any other way since the smooth texture is very important to us. Same goes for any 'sauce' be it apple, tomato, pear etc. I can't picture a food processor sauce being nearly as smooth as a milled (sieved) sauce would be.

I suppose I could argue that sieved sauce would taste better than chunky since the smaller particles could better absorb and distribute the added flavors of the sugar and spices. But I have no basis for comparison.

All you can do is do some of both and see which you prefer.

Dave

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

I do the same as you Dave. Another plus to using a food mill is that I don't have to peel and core everything like,apples, tomatoes, pears etc. I just wash, check for bad spots, and throw them in the handy crock pot.

When they get soft I run them through the food mill and return them to the crock pot! I love my food mill better than any kitchen gadget that I have ever had!

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I don't sieve and we prefer the apples that way, though the variety we use breaks down into a mainly smooth sauce on its own.

However, I usually use windfalls for applesauce, so I'm peeling, coring and cutting out bruised spots before cooking.

I never add spices unless I'm making apple butter. In that case, of course I do sieve.

Carol

• nancyofnc
    12 years ago

Here is the way I do mine but I agree with what Dave says - try it and taste.

IMO apple butter should be as smooth as, well, butter. I cook the 4 or 5 varieties together (peeled and cored with a little water added) until just soft, then put them in the food mill for a better mixture and smaller "lumpiness". After spices, sugar and more cooking down to about 1/2, I put cups of the mixture into the blender on puree then back into the pot for final heating before canning (with a screen over it because it tends to volcano at the end). The food processor may or may not give you a consistently smooth butter.

Applesauce is cooked the same but since I don't put in any sugar or spices, it goes through the food mill and back to the pot for heating before canning. A little more lumpiness here is nice for applesauce. IMHO

Nancy