Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellyofthesouth

summer maramalade

mellyofthesouth
13 years ago

Started a new thread so as to not hijack the banana one.

* Posted by lpinkmountain 5b/6a border PA (My Page) on

Tue, Sep 14, 10 at 7:59

"I also got a bag of about ten oranges, so I'm looking for some kind of marmelade recipe that mixes summer fruits with orange. I'd like to try cherry marmelade but it is too late for cherries, alas!"

It might be heretical for me to say but you could use frozen cherries. Or not. There are plenty of other choices! Personally I think plum marmalade sounds fantastic. There are plenty of the recipes on the internet and since plums and oranges are both acidic I wouldn't hesitate to make it. Or you could substitute plums for the peaches in the recipe below.

How about tomato marmalade?

from: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/05/food/la-fo-food-bloggersrecc-20100805

Tomato Marmalade

Total time: About 1 hour, 40 minutes

Servings: Makes about 8 cups marmalade

Note: Adapted from Valerie Gordon of Valerie Confections.

4 oranges (navel, Valencia or blood are all fine)

6 cups sugar, divided

1/2 cup water

10 pounds Roma tomatoes

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

1. Using a standard vegetable peeler, peel the skin from the oranges in strips. Juice the oranges, saving 1 cup; the remainder can be saved for another use.

2. Place the juice, 1 cup sugar and the water into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then add the peel. Continue to heat until the mixture comes to a boil.

3. Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking until the peel appears slightly translucent and very soft, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

4. While the orange peel is cooling, skin the tomatoes: Cut a small X at the base of each tomato. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then drop the tomatoes in the water, several at a time. Remove the tomatoes with a slotted spoon when the skin has just begun peeling from the X, about 20 to 30 seconds. Immediately place the tomatoes in an ice bath to stop the cooking, then peel the skin from the tomatoes when they are cooled. Repeat until the skins are removed from all the tomatoes.

5. Seed and roughly chop the tomatoes and place them in a large pot. Stir in the remaining 5 cups sugar.

6. When the orange is cooled, chop the orange peel. Place the chopped orange peel in a small bowl, reserving the poaching liquid.

7. Heat the tomato and sugar mixture over high heat, stirring frequently with a large wooden spoon or heat-resistant spatula. Cook the marmalade until it begins to thicken, about 45 minutes to an hour. (It will boil and bubble furiously while it cooks; stir frequently but not constantly.)

8. Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the poached orange peel, salt and pepper, stirring constantly. Taste the marmalade. If you prefer stronger citrus notes, add some of the reserved poaching liquid now. Continue cooking until the marmalade is very shiny with a thick consistency.

9. Refrigerate the marmalade or can according to the jar manufacturer's instructions.

Each tablespoon: 41 calories; 0 protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 0 fat; 0 cholesterol; 10 grams sugar; 38 mg. sodium.

NCHFP version: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/tomato_marmalade.html

Tomato Marmalade

* 3 quarts ripe tomatoes (about 5 pounds tomatoes)

* 3 oranges

* 2 lemons

* 4 sticks cinnamon (3-inch pieces)

* 6 whole allspice

* 1 tablespoon whole cloves

* 6 cups sugar

* 1 teaspoon salt

Yield: About 9 half-pint jars

Procedure: Sterilize canning jars and prepare two-piece canning lids according to manufacturer's directions.

To Prepare Fruit and Spices  Peel tomatoes; cut tomatoes in small pieces. Drain. Slice oranges and lemons very thin; quarter the slices. Tie cinnamon, allspice and cloves in a cheesecloth bag.

To Make Marmalade - Sterilize canning jars. Place tomato pieces in a large kettle. Add sugar and salt; stir until dissolved. Add oranges, lemons and spice bag. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue to boil rapidly, stirring constantly, until thick and clear (about 50 minutes). Remove from heat; skim off foam. Fill hot marmalade into hot jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a Boiling Water Canner.

Or Peach Marmalade

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/peach_orange_marmalade.html

Peach-Orange Marmalade without added pectin

* 5 cups finely chopped or ground peaches (about 4 pounds peaches)

* 1 cup finely chopped or ground oranges(about 2 medium-size oranges)

* Peel of 1 orange, shredded very fine

* 2 tablespoons lemon juice

* 6 cups sugar

Yield: About 6 or 7 half-pint jars

Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure: Sterilize canning jars and prepare two-piece canning lids according to manufacturer's directions.

To prepare fruit. Sort and wash fully ripe peaches. Remove stems, skins, and pits. Finely chop or grind the peaches. Remove peel, white portion, and seeks from oranges. Finely chop or grind the pulp.

To make marmalade. Measure the prepared fruit into a kettle. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Boil rapidly, stirring constantly, to 9 degrees F. above the boiling point of water, or until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat; skim.

Fill hot marmalade immediately into hot, sterile jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a Boiling Water Canner.

Or lastly:

Jam for Cold Mornings

3 lbs peaches, peeled and quartered

1/2 medium orange, quartered and seeded

2 habaneros, seeds and all

4 cups sugar

1/4 tsp almond extract

3/4 cup honey

Combine peaches, sugar, and honey in a Dutch oven; stir well. Cover and let stand 45 minutes. Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add orange quarters and chiles. Process until finely chopped, stopping once to scrape down sides.

Place orange, habañero chiles, and an equal amount of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until orange rind is tender.

Bring peach mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring often. Add orange mixture. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes or until candy thermometer registers 221 degrees, stirring often. Remove from heat; stir in almond extract. Skim off foam with a metal spoon.

Quickly pour hot mixture into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands. Process jars in boiling-water bath 5 minutes. If jars aren't sterlized, proces 10 minutes. Yield: 6 half-pints.

Any other ideas?

Comments (5)

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That peach orange marmelade is calling my name!! (Although the prune plum marmelade I found online is whispering in the other ear). I'll have just enough oranges left over after I make this one from the Ball Book of Home Preserving.

Morning Cheer Marmalade from "Ball Book of Home Preserving"
    Yeild: six 8-oz. jars

1/2 tsp. whole allspice
    1 five inch cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
    5 oranges
    1 tart apple, such as granny smith, peeled, cored and grated
    4 cups finely grated peeled carrots
    1 1/2 cups water
    4 cups granulated sugar
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup Scotch whisky (optional)

Create spice bag from allspice and cinnamon.
    Separate the peel of the oranges from the pith, using a vegetable peeler. Using a sharp knife, remove and discard the white pith. (Or as much of it as you have patience for, lol!) Separate the orange segements from the membranes. Do this over a large stainless steel pot to catch all the juice. Squeeze the membranes to remove as much juice as possible. Discard the membranes and the seeds too. Slice the peel into very thin strips. Add it along with the apples, carrots, water and spice bag to the saucepan. Bring to a boil of med. high heat and boil gently stirring occasionally, for 15 min. While maintaining the boil, gradually add the sugar and lemon juice. Boil hard, stirring frequently, until mixture reaches the gel state (220 F which I can never seem to reach on my candy thermometer). This should take about 30 min. Try the cold plate test and if it isn't thick after 30 min. boil for 5 min. longer, then test again, etc. Once the gel stage has been reached, stir in the whiskey if using. Take out the spice bag. Skim off any foam.

While all this is going on, prepare the jars and lids as per safe canning practice. Ladle the hot marmelade into the jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Yada, yada, yada . . . Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water up to an inch above the top of the jar. Bring to a boil and process for 10 min. Leave jars in the canner for 5 min. after that, then remove jars and cool and store.

I skipped all the fine details about canning basics here so if you want to know more, buy this excellent book.

• mellyofthesouth
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The prune plum marmalade looks really good - especially since it doesn't have so much sugar. I saw prune plums the other day - not that I need any more jars of jam. I'm having to give stuff to all my extended family members and friends as it is.

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

LOL Melly! My friends see me coming and they say, "Oh NO, not more jam!!" I already made a batch of plum walnut preserves and peach salsa, so it's a tough choice. Prune plums ARE on sale now, so that might tip the scale.

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Here's a photo of the "Morning Cheer" marmelade. It is pretty good, although a bit of a PITA for my style. BF ate the rest of the oranges so no more for plum marmelade but I think I might just BUY some oranges for that, as I love plum orange jam and the plums have been tantalizing at the farm markets. But meanwhile a peck of roma tomatoes awaits salsa.

• mellyofthesouth
    Original Author
    12 years ago

About how much do you think 1/2 orange is in the jam for cold mornings, in terms of cups? I have calamondins on my little tree that I could subsitute for the orange. Love peaches and it would use a few of my little datil peppers.