Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scunningham_gw

Canning Bacon ?

scunningham
11 years ago

I just watched a video on another forum of someone wrapping bacon strips in parchment paper and pressure canning it for 90 minutes. When it was done the bottom half of the jar was all grease. Nothing about the video seems safe to me. I see on the NCFHFP site you can can pork. Is there a safe way to can bacon?

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

No there isn't. Just another example of why most canning videos are a poor source of information.

Dave

• msmarieh
    9 years ago

I know that canning bacon is not recommended and I want to discourage others on a forum where I see it come up. However, I can't find any official documentation on it. Does anyone have any writeups from the USDA/etc. on WHY you can't can bacon? All I have been able to find is bacon jam and the green beans with bacon articles. Any help would be appreciated.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

AFAIK there is no specific documentation on bacon as it clearly falls under the general restrictions against including any fats in canning.

Not only is rancidity an issue but so are the compromised seals that result.

Why is it necessary to remove as much fat from meats as possible before canning?
    Any fat that gets on the rim of the canning jar can prevent an airtight seal. Excess fat in jars makes it easier for the fat to climb the sides of the jar and contaminate the seal. NCHFP FAQs

However the primary concern with all fats in canning is they adhere to and insulate any bacteria and retard or prevent heat penetration. Cool pockets result that may contain surviving harmful bacteria.

For example, in the canning meats instructions fats are to be trimmed off and/or skimmed off liquids, only a very small piece of lean bacon is allowed when canning baked beans, dairy fats are restricted in soups and other recipes, etc.

Even the freezing instructions for bacon note how quickly it turns rancid.

Dave

• rbab1
    9 years ago

I have successfully canned bacon in 6 oz jars. I can it for the bacon drippings to cook with. I actually use the fatty bacon and pack in the jars fairly tight without the parchment paper and process in a pressure canner. I have had no failures.This turns out more like bacon crumbles. which is what I want. I use this to cook with and do not eat the bacon straight from the jar. Just be sure to wipe the rims well with a paper towel dipped in vinegar. I will be canning some more this week. As far as videos are concerned, they are no different than opinions expressed on any of the websites or books. Informed choices are necessary. There are some really good instructional videos available from very experienced canners who have been canning for years (IE katzcradle and Linda's pantry) to name just a couple and some that have posted with no experience at all. Just be sure to check out your sources. You can't blanket all videos as harmful. You will be doing yourself a disservice.

• drmbear
    9 years ago

I still remember a story from an old Texas friend years ago (I was in my 20's, and he was in his 70's), where he told of making sausage when they butchered a hog, and they would cook the sausage patties, stacking them in jars, and pouring the rendered fat over them to cover. They would just spoon out sausage and fat into a skillet to prepare a meal of it. Seems far-fetched, but it is something they did that worked. It seems with the bacon, it was salted and smoked to preserve it, though that is not quite the quality of product we've become accustomed to. I don't think I would can it, though.

• Kristina Seleshanko
    9 years ago

I can bacon like any other meat. (No parchment.) There is only a small amount of fat at the top of the jar: http://www.proverbsthirtyonewoman.blogspot.com/2013/03/canning-bacon-ends-and-pieces.html#.VPC0WOE-X-c

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

No one said folks don't do it. Whether they should do it or not is the issue and the guidelines strongly recommend against it.

Everyone has to choose their own level of how much risk is acceptable. Apparently a very high degree of risk is acceptable given the appearance of the jars on the website linked above. That is a large amount of air and no "small amount" of fat in those jars pictured. Your choice but I'll pass thanks.

Dave

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

That is not a small amount of fat. I'm so saddened by how many are turning to the amateur blogs for canning information - that site needs a follow at your own risk disclaimer for those who think because its in print its OK.

It almost makes one want to ask where the ingredients originated before accepting a dinner invitation these days ;)

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Question: Why one would want to can bacon ? do you grow them?
    I always buy them from supermarket and say if the are on sale or something, just freeze them. YMMV

Seysonn

• Kristina Seleshanko
    9 years ago

Canning bacon is no different than canning any other meat.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Bacon has substantially more fat content than any other cut of meat. In many cases as much as 60% of the slice is pure fat. And most other meats, are first trimmed and are further skimmed before canning. And just fats are restricted in all other home canning, it is that high fat content in bacon that creates the risks.

The instructions say to "Remove excess fat." from all meats before canning whether one uses hot pack or raw pack. So in theory, one could trim off all the fat on bacon and can only the lean red meat strips but that would be very time consuming and wasteful and wouldn't be at all cost-effective.

The only approved methods for preserving bacon are smoking & curing and/or freezing.

Dave

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I can't comment on the health issues but nobody yet has mention flavour or texture. I followed the link to the blog and I have to say the results look extremely unappetising to my eye. Mushy and amorphous.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional