Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shandalee_gw

Chunky Basil Pasta Sauce

shandalee
11 years ago

Okay, I've read enough good reviews about this sauce that I think I will give it a try today. One thing -- I'm not a wine drinker. I know everyone says, "only use a wine that you would drink with", but that doesn't apply with me. I have another spaghetti sauce recipe I make, but I've always used cooking wine. I didn't want to mess this one up though. Could someone just tell me an exact wine they use, so I don't look like an idiot in the alcohol aisle today. Ha. All those bottles overwhelm me!

Comments (6)

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Originally I used Cabernet, but I thought that was too harsh and assertive, so I switched to Barefoot Merlot, which is not so "in your face" bitey. I think Barefoot is Australian and generally available. It will be smoother and softer and probably a better choice for your family anyway.

Any decent Merlot would be fine. Our grocery features wines and posts their wine ratings (i.e. 85 on a scale of 100) so you could check for that or just ask a clerk to find someone to assist if you can't find what you need.

Carol

• malna
    11 years ago

I agree with Carol - I used to use Cabernets in red sauces, but I switched to an inexpensive Merlot (doesn't add its own character to the sauce, just complements it). A Pinot Noir is good, too.

• shandalee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both for your responses. I ended up having to go to the grocery store before I read them though, so I ended up picking up Estancia Merlot. I did look at that Barefoot Merlot though and almost bought it as that was also on sale. Wasn't sure what to get, so I had one of those "eenie meenie miney moe" moments :)

Hopefully this works well!

• teauteau
    11 years ago

I would just like to add that even though you may not be a wine drinker or even like wine, using a wine let's say, "most people" wouldn't drink is going to adversely affect the flavor. I once used "cooking wine" and after watching a bevy of cooking shows and being constantly told, "use only a wine you would drink", I soon came to discover the method to that madness. I consider myself a pretty good cook and in those days (some 20 years ago)I was starting to branch out into more complex recipes. I also was not much of a wine drinker and definitely not an aficionado. I asked a number of different people for advice on which wines to use. A decent (doesn't have to be expensive) wine, will make an excellent dish. A funky, substandard wine can kill a dish. I wish I would have had this resource (GardenWeb) back then which would have saved me a lot of blah or even worse results in my cooking adventures with wine! Good luck with your sauce! I have had some fantastic results using wine, brandy and liqueurs in my jelly, jam, and preserve making adventures!

• Kerry Vetter
    11 years ago

this was very good! I ended up with only 4 pints though, is that about correct? Also, I used trader joes cabernet and it was very good.

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

I buy Gallo red and white wines in 4-packs of the little bottles (188mL or 3/4 c.) for cooking. That way i don't have to waste it.