Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One more question - re-washing jars & lids

Posted by katkatf none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 11 at 11:03

I had washed a whole bunch of jars yesterday, foolishly thinking I was going to get more done than I did! :( I covered the jars and lids with a clean towel. Can I still consider them clean? In other words, if I carry on with canning today, do I need to rewash the jars and lids I washed yesterday, or can they just go straight to the hot water bath before canning?

Thanks,
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One more question - re-washing jars & lids

If I have already washed the jars, then I normally just re-rinse well with very hot tap water. I store all my jars upside down to keep the spiders and dust out of them.

If I left them sitting out on the counter uncovered, then I would rewash, as they would probably have had flies crawling inside them (the flies are horrid right now!) or cats putting their paws in them, or just general dust settling in them (live on a dirt road)

o
RE: One more question - re-washing jars & lids

Anything that will be processed for more than 10 min. doesn't require sterilized jars or lids. So you can put them in the hot BWB if you want but all you need to do is make sure they are hot. So re-wash and then fill with hot tap water until just before ready to fill. Or just run them through the hot rinse cycle on the dishwasher if you have one.

Lids should never boil, just be heated. A bowl of hot water heated in the microwave and then take it out and put the lids in it works fine.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here