Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thirsty_dirt_77

Salsa Question

thirsty_dirt_77
10 years ago

I have 24 pounds of tomatoes ready for salsa and need to get on it before my tomatoes start to go bad.

The (approved) salsa recipe I use wants you to drain the tomatoes for 1/2 hour and then simmer for 1.5 - 2 hours until you get a sauce like consistency before adding the rest of the ingredients.

My question(s) is this:
- is it safe to awesome I can peel and drain the tomatoes and place in the fridge over night

- can I cook them down and place in the fridge over night and later reheat to a simmer and continue on?

Comments (17)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

1. yes if enclosed in container and covered. No more than 24 hours however.

2. yes but you reheat to boiling, not simmer.

Since you didn't name the source of the recipe, I am assuming that you are correct that it is one of the tested and approved recipes. Off-hand I can't think of any of them that call for such long cooking time and a sauce consistency for salsa.

I only ask because some folks think that any recipe they find on the web or in a book is an approved recipe.

Dave

• thirsty_dirt_77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave - the recipe is from a reputable cookbook that has been around for decades and it states its approval by the USDA.

It is a thick and chunky salsa which is why the long cooking time.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

reputable cookbook that has been around for decades and it states its approval by the USDA

Your choice of course as long as you understand that doesn't necessarily make it safe for canning.

Canning salsa guidelines have changes greatly over the past few years and many cookbooks are outdated. Density/thickness guidelines for canning is one of the major changes. Plus in general, cookbooks are not regarded as the best source for canning recipes.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning Salsas

• thirsty_dirt_77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave -

I came here to ask a question not get a lecture on safe canning practices.

Even though the cookbook I'm using has been around for a while it is a new, updated version (2 yrs old) and specifies that all recipes have been updated to meet current guidelines.

And you're right, its absolutely my choice.

• lyndapaz
    10 years ago

Dave,
    You must have a really thick skin to put up with all of us "know-it-all" know-nothings that come looking for the advice we want to hear. I remember a number of years back hearing your sound advice and taking it the wrong way. Took quite a while to get through to me. I found it such a difficult transition going from cooking, using and amending recipes to the science of food preservation. Similar to the difficulty that I had transitioning from programming on a mainframe to interactive PCs. Totally different ballgame (to mix all the metaphors.)
    Thanks for hanging in there with us all these years.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Thanks lyndapaz. Appreciate it. I know most of us here work hard to insure we don't unintentionally mislead someone with incorrect information.

Wasn't aware I was "lecturing", merely providing information. Not that it is new information. Most of us are aware of the risks of using cook book recipes for canning. But for those new to canning or with little experience who might read this, it is information worth having so they can make well informed choices.

Dave

• calliope
    10 years ago

I've always considered myself a safe canner, but this forum has really helped me wrap my mind around the rationale of why certain things have changed. Knowing why is a tool one can use to make good decisions and we all make decisions when canning, don't we? I used to sterilize all my jars and it's great to know i don't have to if they're processed a certain amount of time. I used to boil my jar lids and now know I shouldn't. I also have discussed several times safety issues brought up on this forum with other people with less canning experience and recommended this site and the NCHFP site to which I turn FIRST now and never knew even existed. I learned from you all about using citric acid instead of lemon juice (oh my tomatoes taste better now). And I feel much more confident on what and how I may deviate from directions and still be safe. My friends never have to worry when I give them any of my preserved products and I inform them when I give them anything I can that I follow all the safety directions from a tested and approved site. How many of you have smiled when someone gives you a canned product and then were too scared to eat it?

• Kathy F
    10 years ago

Yeh, and I used to seal my jams and jellies with paraffin wax as taught in my home ec class, but I don't do it any more! I am grateful for many resources that have helped me stay safe in my home canning, but especially this site and folks like Dave and Carol who keep answering the same questions over and over and never seem to lose their cool.

I'll add my thanks and hope that you don't burn out, Dave!

• mom2wildboys
    10 years ago

It seems to me the OP was *asking* about safe canning practices, so I'm unclear why she was upset that Dave addressed safe canning practices in his response. At any rate, add me to the list of people who are thankful for the input of Dave and all the other canning experts on this list over the years! I have learned a lot and continue to do so!

• thatcompostguy
    10 years ago

I think the OP wasn't completely thorough in their description. Cookbook that's decades old. I thought 70's immediately. Still would have been nice to know what book it was. Just because. What's the harm in sharing the name of a book? Curiosity in comparison in all of us, isn't there?

I belong to another gardening site and used to answer lots of questions on all kinds of topics, much like Dave does here. So I can relate. I've since quit trying to answer so many questions on the other site. Membership online dropped drastically, and other things have happened. But I still lurk here on GardenWeb more than I post. I admit I'm seasonal in attendance. I've been a member for well over 10 years. My reputation does not precede me here (at least I hope it doesn't) and want to stay that way. :-)

• thirsty_dirt_77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was debating about whether or not to reply to this post but feel like I must.

My first mistake was saying my recipe was approved. It is indeed approved and I had every intention of posting a picture of the cookbook showing that it is approved but never got around to digging out my camera to do.

Secondly, I havenâÂÂt named the cookbook because honestly I canâÂÂt remember which cookbook it is in until I go looking for it. I thought I would mention it was approved because I know that people tend to get the third degree about whether or not recipes are âÂÂapprovedâ on this forum.

Thirdly, my initial question was about a timeline for using tomatoes once I started to clean them. I mentioned nothing about whether the salsa would be consumed fresh, canned or even frozen for that fact. And you know what? Most of it will be consumed this weekend at a large gathering and if anything is left it will be frozen. I want it to be as fresh as possible and need it for Saturday which is why the process is being split over 2 evenings (Thursday and Friday) instead of a week in advance.

And finally, you donâÂÂt know me and I donâÂÂt know you⦠and lyndapaz, I donâÂÂt appreciated being called a âÂÂknow it all know nothing.âÂÂ

I have canned with my mother for as long as I can remember and I have been doing it on my own for several years now. Once I started it on my own I didnâÂÂt follow my momâÂÂs practices because they werenâÂÂt all necessarily considered safe by current standards. I have done hours and hours and hours of research regarding safe canning practices. And when I read DaveâÂÂs comment he seemed to imply that he didnâÂÂt think my recipe was safe and it aggravated me because I asked a simple question about tomatoes and not was not looking for approval of my recipe. During my hours of research (that I redo every year so I donâÂÂt forget) I have come across many, many things that are so negative regarding home canning that quite frankly it pisses me off. Yes there are rules and procedures that need to be followed but itâÂÂs not a bad thing nor should it be a scary thing. I wish that there was more of a positive swing put on canning and I guess DaveâÂÂs comment was probably taken the wrong way because it struck my hate nerve for all the negativity around canning. So Dave, I apologize for taking your comment the wrong way.

• thatcompostguy
    10 years ago

Believe me. You weren't singled out in any regard. everybody gets the mandatory pat down just to make sure the answers are fully explained and there aren't many questions afterward. Dave can probably recite a few canning books and resources page, paragraph, chapter and verse. (that's supposed to be a compliment)

You're part of the family now. :-)

• bb
    10 years ago

if you want salsa, make Annies Salsa, safe, quick, easy and super delicious, you'll have none leftover.... no matter how much you make.. a crowd pleaser!!!! make it Saturday, chill overnight, serve Sunday. GL

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

No problems ThirstyDirt. It's just when we have no way of knowing the person's background or experience in home canning and don't have full info to work with we are forced to qualify our answers to avoid misleading them and others who read the discussion with erroneous info.

That's why I added the comment about "the only reason i ask is because..."

You'd be amazed at the number of posts from folks who mistakenly think that anything, literally anything, can be stuffed in a jar, capped with a lid, and stuck in a pot of boiling water for 10 min. and be safe to eat or even give to friends.

And since salsa is one of the most risky foods, I ask... :-)

Dave

PS: didn't need a pic, just the name.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I'm glad you answered back, Thirsty Dirt. I suppose initially I had some of the same reactions. I don't contribute a lot to this forum, but do read if regularly. I have a rather technical education and background and sometimes challenge something I think is getting nit-picky, but one must absolutely present the gold standard of safety when advising others and like dave and another responder said, have been in the position to give advise on other subjects and sometimes with the limited background presented, and until we get familiar with a regular have no way of knowing whether to amp up the response or make it more simple. I hate to glaze eyes over with explanations but even more afraid of assuming someone else can fill in the blanks. Better safe than sorry. Yes..........it peeves me as well some of the misconceptions about people who can and preserve and its safety. That's one of the reasons I do preserve my own food, because I can be assured of it's wholesome ingredients and safety. Welcome to the forum.

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

I didn't think Dave's comment sounded lecturing or critical, but I think maybe I can see why it did to Thirsty_Dirt.

I think it's a gender thing :).

I grew up with, and work with, mostly men. And men tend to be very direct and factual in their communication style.

Women, especially when talking to other women, tend to be much more careful of the hearer's feelings, and take care not to give offense or sound like they think they are 'above' the other person. (Men tend to welcome hierarchy and even be uncomfortable with its absence, and women the opposite.)

So I think Dave's direct, factual statement sounded aggressive to Thirsty_Dirt. Of course, I could be completely wrong :).

I do agree, too, that on forums it's important to keep in mind that many people are reading silently, and not posting, and to try not to give THEM any inaccurate impressions -- which can lead to a bit of extra detail that is not intended to be condescending.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

There has probably been enough said already but I don't find anything gender specific or aggressive about Dave's typical communication. I find him patient beyond words, complete, and thorough.

I don't want to criticize the OP, but a 'hate nerve' over canning safety is quite opposite of what I find checking for other sources, recipes....I think there is a canning community so loose, careless on the web these days it's frightening.

So Dave, I appreciate that you have no drama. You can tell your wife with a wink you have a fan. Of course I've been married 42 years myself to a man with wonderful qualities, but canning isn't one of them. Or patience, I couldn't print what he would say to some of the responses you occasionally get to your thoughtful suggestions.