Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanner27

Beans- pressure or water bath this recipe?

tanner27
9 years ago

I have this recipe from a friend however not sure if I should be pressure canning with the small amount of vinegar, or can i even pressure can a recipe with vinegar? What would you do?

8 cups water,,5 tbsp vinegar, 2.5 tsp sugar, 2.5 tbsp pickling salt. Boil brine pour over filled jars of beans. Boil lids. Seal jars and process 1 1/4 hours. Ta da. Yummy beans

Comments (12)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

That amount of vinegar isn't going to do anything for safety so BWB is out. I don't know that vinegar would do anything (taste-wise) for PCing. But you might want to try some lemon juice - Ball Blue Book has a recipe (in Special Diets section) for no salt, strip or 2 of lemon peel per jar of beans. And if you're leaving out the vinegar you can leave out the sugar, lemon juice isn't as sharp. Salt is optional.

Follow NCHFP (or BBB) instructions for PCing the beans. No amount of time in a BWB will make non-pickled beans safe to eat.

Here is a link that might be useful: PCing beans

• tanner27
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I've done the regular beans like that, was just interested in trying this recipe but only if pressure canning it would make it safe. Just didn't know if I could pressure can it like the book says using the ingredients from the recipe.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Yes you can. Vinegar isn't going to hurt anything if you like the taste, but I think lemon juice would be better. Sugar is also fine, of course salt is too. I suggest just adding all the ingredients except the water to the jars (how many jars does that make? 5 would be convenient for the math) and then pouring boiling water from teakettle in and processing as usual. No need to dirty a pot.

• drmbear Cherry
    9 years ago

An hour and a quarter PCing the beans is way too much if you want them to have any recognizable texture. If I was doing this, I would do a raw pack of the green beans, add the small amounts of various flavorings (vinegar, lemon, sugar, salt, other spices) to the jars, then do like ajsmama said and fill to within an inch with boiling water, fit lids, and process in my PC as for the beans.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

when using a raw pack, do you pour boiling water into room temp. jars? i've been prewarming the jars after putting the beans in by adding very hot water to a pan and sitting the jars in them while i bring the water up to a boil. can i eliminate that step ?

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

No Pat, you still need to have the jars warm when doing a raw pack to avoid thermal shock. But just hot water from the tap is good enough (120 degrees). Ball says their jars can withstand up to 90 degrees difference.

I just put them in BWB filled and heat the whole thing up (140 for raw pack, 180 for hot pack) and then dump the water out of each jar back into the canner as I take it out to fill. With PC you want to fill with the 3 qts or whatever manual calls for, but put some water in each jar so they don't float but you don't need to fill the jars, just dump that water in the sink as you take each jar (same temps) out to fill so you don't end up with too much water in the PC.

Put the salt, sugar, dry stuff in the hot jars, then fill with beans, then vinegar or lemon juice if using (room temp shouldn't hurt since it will be going over the beans and not hitting glass directly) then boiling water. You can put the vinegar in after the water if you underfill a little. Then release bubbles, check HS, add water as necessary. Do 1 jar at a time, don't fill all the jars and then put them in the canner b/c the first ones will have cooled off and could break when they hit the hot water.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

that's what i thought when i was PC'ing just cut up beans. although i filled all the jars (more sitting, less standing) first, placing that lemon slice against the ball fruit emblem, so i knew exactly how mqany beans to cut. then all the jars went in a big pan with an inch of very hot water in it. i brought simmering water to a boil to fill the jars ( by two's) and put into the PC. any water spills went, well, into the hot water !

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

As long as difference is less than 90 degrees you're OK so room-temp jars in a pan of really hot (say 140, to match canner temp recommended for raw pack) is OK. I know the bottom of the jars must have been hot from the hot water, you didn't have a problem with pouring boiling water in and having them crack higher up so they must have warmed up enough all the way up to the top before you poured the water in, that would have been my concern. If beans aren't mushy when you open them from sitting in hot pan of water while you finished filling, just keep doing it that way. But sorry, no room temperature jars filled with *boiling* water. Can't skip the warming step.

Since you're filling the warm jars with the boiling water all at the same time, no problem but usually "batch filling" (esp. with hot pack) is not recommended due to risk of thermal shock.

I think my beans are done - it's been too dry here and I didn't haul water.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

" i brought simmering water to a boil to fill the jars ( by two's)."....i've never filled more than 2 jars at a time before loading them in the canner !
    since i fill jars with water in the BWB pot and dump the water there before filling, i didn't want to do the same thing with the PC. knowing me, i'd be dumping water there too.i'm such a creature of habit !
    i ran out of lemon but had some dill heads in vinegar in the fridge, so the last 2 jars got dill. what other flavorings have you all used with beans ?

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I take 2 jars out of the BWB, fill 1, put the funnel in the 2nd, put the 1st in the canner, take out another, fill the one with the funnel, repeat. It gives me a place to put the funnel and makes room enough in the canner to get the full jar in and take another out without bumping. Each jar after the 1st is only cooling as long as it takes me to fill 1 jar.

I've used rosemary in pickled beans, hope it's good.

We should start a new thread so OP doesn't get all these emails. I just wanted to explain my jar-filling method.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

sorry, OP. sheila's right, and i did recently find a thread on canning tips, or setting up methods.will search for it.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

sorry, OP. sheila's right, and i did recently find a thread on canning tips:
    Generic Canning Tips & Tricks