Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigfoot839

homade mustards?

bigfoot839
16 years ago

seen it in a post you can't say somthing like that and not give a recipie lol come on share with me i like mustard

Comments (45)

• readinglady
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Once-upon-a-time we had some threads about mustards, but some dropped off and I see the ones that remain have dead links so forget that.

I used to make all kinds of mustards but I haven't done it lately. I move from enthusiasm to enthusiasm, but now I'm thinking this winter would be a good time to get back to it. They do make wonderful Christmas gifts.

So, here're some possibilities:

Coarse Grain Mustard with Beer
    Makes about 1 to 1-1/2 pints
    This is an excellent mustard, easy to make and full of good flavor. I find it rivals all but the very best commercial coarse grain mustards, and I particularly enjoy the spicy variation.
    1 cup dark beer, chilled
    Â 1/2 cup yellow mustard seed
    Â 1-1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
    Â 1 small yellow onion, chopped (use a sweet onion, if available)
    Â 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
    Â 1 shallot, chopped
    Â 2 ounces mustard flour
    Â 1/8 cup very cold water
    Â 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    Â 2 teaspoons sugar
    Â 1/2 teaspoon allspice, ground

Pour the dark beer over the mustard seed and let it sit at least four hours or overnight. Place the vinegar, onion, garlic, and shallot in a heavy saucepan and simmer slowly until mixture is reduced by 2/3. Strain the liquid and chill it. Make a paste of the mustard flour and water and let it sit for 20 minutes. Stir in the vinegar reduction, salt, sugar, and allspice and add this mixture to the wet mustard seeds. Place the mustard in the container of a food processor and pulse until the mustard seeds are partially ground and the mixture is well blended. Transfer the mustard to the saucepan and simmer over very slow heat until it thickens, 10-15 minutes. Cool the mixture, place in a glass jar, and age on a cool, dark shelf for two or three weeks before using.
    Variation: Spicy Coarse Grain Mustard
    Using the above recipe, add 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom; 1/4 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and ground clove; 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin; 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger; 2 tablespoons very finely minced candied ginger.

I really liked this one. I'm mad at myself that I didn't note the source. Somewhere around here I have 3 or 4 books just on mustards.

Bordeaux Mustard

Categories : Appetizers & Nibbles Condiments
    Gift Giving

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2/3 cup yellow mustard seeds
    1/2 cup brown mustard seeds
    1 cup red-wine vinegar
    1/2 cup dry red wine (cabernet, pinot or beaujolais)
    4 cloves garlic -- minced
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons white-wine worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon -- crumbled
    1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram -- crumbled
    1 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1 teaspoon turmeric

In a nonreactive pot or jar, combine all the seeds, vinegar, wine and garlic; cover and soak for 48 hours, adding additional vinegar and wine (in the correct proportions) if necessary to maintain enough liquid to cover the seeds.

Scrape the soaked seeds into a food processor. Add the sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, tarragon, marjoram, pepper and turmeric and process until the mustard turns from liquid and seeds to a creamy mixture flecked with seeds. This takes 3-4 minutes.

Add additional vinegar and wine (in correct proportions) as necessary to create a nice creamy mustard. (Keep in mind that it will thicken slightly upon standing.) This mustard benefits from several weeks of aging. Keep refrigerated.

Yield: "3 1/4 cups"

This is an old favorite, more of a spread than a mustard. There are lots of variations of this recipe around, but we like this one best. Note because it has eggs and mayonnaise, it must be kept refrigerated.

People love this. It's terrific on rye bread rounds with elk sausage or rare roast beef. Ham sandwiches really shine with this. Good with any meat really.

This makes a big batch. I often halve it.

Sweet Hot Mustard

Categories : Appetizers & Nibbles Condiments
    Dressings, Marinades, Sauces Gift Giving

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 ounces dry mustard
    1 cup cider vinegar
    2 eggs
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups mayonnaise

Mix vinegar and mustard. Let stand overnight. Beat eggs, salt and sugar; then add to mustard and vinegar. Cook until thick. Cool; then beat in mayonnaise.

I have never canned the following recipe so can't speak to that. It's not a safety issue as mustard (unless there're eggs or garlic or other iffy amendments) is not congenial to bacteria. However, there are varying reports about the quality of canned mustards. The new Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving does have some recipes.

Fresh Peach Mustard
    1/2 cup dry mustard
    2 tablespoons water
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup minced onion
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
    2 cups pureed Washington peaches
    1/2 cup sugar

Combine mustard and water; mix until smooth. Cover and let stand 10 minutes. Combine remaining ingredients in saucepan. Bring to boil and boil 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk 1/4 cup hot mixture into mustard paste until smooth. Repeat twice; then whisk in all remaining hot mixture. Puree in blender or food processor until smooth. Remove from heat and skim. Ladle into clean, hot 8-ounce canning jars to within 1/8-inch of tops. Seal according to jar manufacturer's directions. Place jars on rack in canner. Process 15 minutes in boiling water bath with boiling water two inches above jar tops. Remove jars from canner. Place on thick cloth or wire racks. Cool away from drafts. After 12 hours test lids for proper seal; remove rings from sealed jars. Makes about 3 (8 oz.) jars.

Tip: Refrigerate Fresh Peach Mustard if not processed.

If I get a chance later I'll see if I can search out some others. Since I have the books, I've never entered the recipes into my database. There's a cranberry mustard that's lightly pink, very nice for the holidays, great with turkey.

I'm sure other posters will have their own contributions. If you (or others) have a preference for a particular style, give a shout. I didn't include any recipes, but there are also blends that start with a prepared mustard base of one sort or another.

Probably the hardest mustard to duplicate well is Dijon. There are lots of recipes online, but how anyone can call it "Dijon" and not even include white wine is beyond me. (Not to mention we're in the wrong hemisphere.)

Carol

• bigfoot839
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mmmmmmm these look so good thank you

• John__ShowMe__USA
    16 years ago

Here are some instructions too. I really like the hot and the crushed.

jt

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

This is so weird. I spent part of my morning surfing for mustard recipes!! I am making homemade pretzels this weekend (IF I find time) and thought different mustards would be a good idea too! Also a Christmas gift idea for my office co-workers and the inevitable "snack trays" to come!!

Here's what I saved plus a few of my ideas as additions.

Basic Coarse Mustard

1/3 cup mustard seed
    1/3 cup cider vinegar
    1 clove garlic -- halved
    3 tablespoons water
    3 tablespoons liquid honey
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 pinch ground cinnamon

Combine mustard seeds, vinegar and garlic in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 36 hours.
    Discard garlic.
    Process mixture in a food processor with water until coarse consistency. Stir in honey, salt and cinnamon.
    Refrigerate in tightly sealed containers.

Variations: Horseradish Mustard: Add 3 tsp. horseradish
    Peppercorn Mustard: Add 3 tsp. green peppercorns, crushed.
    Herb Mustard: Add 1/2 tsp or more as desired of any dried herb. Tarragon, dill, thyme, basil or oregano.
    Dijonnaise Mustard: Add 1/3 cup mayonnaise

This recipe for Basic Coarse Mustard serves/makes .75 cup

Basice Country Mustard

2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds -- coarsely ground
    1/4 cup brown or yellow mustard powder
    1/4 cup cold water
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar -- or cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon salt

Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]
    Directions:
    Grind the mustard seeds to the texture you desire. Mix the mustard powder and ground seeds with the water.
    Let sit for 10 minutes. Add the vinegar and salt; blend well. Refrigerate overnight before using.
    This recipe for Basic Country Mustard serves/makes 1 cup

Ideas:
    Jalapeno Lime
    Garlic Pepper (red or black)
    Molasses
    Beer
    Balsamic
    Horseradish

If anyone makes some, please post and give us the details and results!!

Deanna

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

Cranberry Mustard
    Makes about 7 (4 oz) jars
    You will need:
    1 cup red wine vinegar
    2/3 cup yellow mustard seeds
    1 cup water
    1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    2-3/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (about 2 12-oz bag)
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup dry mustard
    2-1/2 tsp ground allspice
    7 (4 oz) glass preserving jars with lids and bands
    Directions:
    1.) BRING vinegar to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and add mustard seeds. Cover and let stand at room temperature until seeds have absorbed most of the moisture, about 1-1/2 hours
    2.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
    3.) COMBINE mustard seeds and liquid, water and Worcestershire sauce in a food processor or blender. Process until slightly grainy. Add cranberries and blend until chopped.
    4.) BRING cranberry mixture to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Whisk in sugar, dry mustard and allspice. Continue to simmer, stirring frequently, until volume is reduced by a third, about 15 minutes.
    5.) LADLE hot mustard into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
    6.) PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Oktoberfest Beer Mustard
    Makes about 5 (4 oz) jars
    You will need:
    1-1/2 cups beer
    1 cup brown mustard seeds
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup malt vinegar
    1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup dry mustard
    1 Tbsp onion powder
    5 (4 oz) glass preserving jars with lids and bands
    Directions:
    1.) COMBINE beer and brown mustard seeds in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let stand at room temperature until seeds have absorbed most of the moisture, about 2 hours.
    2.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
    3.) PLACE mustard seeds and remaining liquid in a food processor or blender. Process until chopped and slightly grainy.
    4.) TRANSFER mixture to a large saucepan. Whisk in water, vinegar, brown sugar, dry mustard and onion powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until volume is reduced by a third, about 15 minutes.
    5.) LADLE hot mustard into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
    6.) PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
    I know these are not mustard, but still may be of interest to some of you.

Zesty Peach Barbecue Sauce
    Makes about 8 (8 oz) half pints
    You will need:
    6 cups finely chopped pitted peeled peaches (about 3 lb or 9 medium)
    1 cup finely chopped seeded red bell pepper (about 1 large)
    1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 large)
    3 Tbsp finely chopped garlic (about 14 cloves)
    1-1/4 cups honey
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 tsp hot pepper flakes
    2 tsp dry mustard
    2 tsp salt
    8 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
    Directions:
    1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
    2.) COMBINE all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens to the consistency of a thin commercial barbeque sauce, about 25 minutes.
    3.) LADLE hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
    4.) PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Thai Hot and Sweet Dipping Sauce
    Makes about 9 (8 oz) half pints
    You will need:
    1/2 cup finely chopped garlic (about 36 cloves)
    1 Tbsp salt
    6 cups cider vinegar
    6 cups sugar
    1/2 cup hot pepper flakes
    Directions:
    1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
    2.) COMBINE garlic and salt in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
    3.) HEAT vinegar to a boil in a large saucepan. Add sugar, stirring to fully dissolve. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add garlic mixture and hot pepper flakes, stirring well.
    4.) LADLE hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
    5.) PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Quick Tip
    If you prefer less heat, adjust the amount of hot pepper flakes to suit your taste.

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Oohhh...we're on a roll now! Keep 'em comin'!

Hmmmm...rolls sound good.

Deanna

• bigfoot839
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i got to get more jars
    lol

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

My mustard was made with both yellow mustard seeds as well as brown mustard seeds. The brown ones have a much bolder taste. I also made mustard pickles and used some ground celery seeds in them too. The mustards were thickened slightly by using Clear Jel. Because I had a lot of the mustard left, I also chopped up some cukes into a small bits, added chopped onions and a few dried sweet red pepper flakes for color. This was for a batch of hotdog relish.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

i got to get more jars

You're darn right!

I never thought about making mustards...how fun.

Michelle

• mellyofthesouth
    16 years ago

The cranberry mustard intrigues me. I have some raspberry red wine vinegar that is 5%. I wonder how that would be in it. Then it would be raspberry cranberry mustard.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Ooh, Melly, that does sound good. I have some French raspberry wine vinegar that's been sitting around while I figure out what to do with it. What a good idea.

I am definitely saving this thread.

Carol

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I'm not sure these can be canned or not but they sounded so good to me.

Spicy German Mustard

1/4 cup yellow mustard seed
    2 Tbsp. black or brown mustard seed, heaping
    1/4 cup dry mustard powder
    1/2 cup water
    1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    1 small onion chopped
    2 Tbsp. firmly packed brown sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    2 garlic gloves, minced or pressed
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. ground allspice
    1/4 tsp. dried tarragon leaves
    1/8 tsp. turmeric

In a small bowl, combine mustard seed and dry mustard. In a 1- to 2-quart stainless steel or nonreactive saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, on medium heat until reduced by half, 10-15 minutes. Pour the mixture into the mustard mixture. Let mixture stand, covered, at room temperature for 24 hours, adding additional vinegar if necessary in order to maintain enough liquid to cover seeds. Process the seeds and mixture in a blender or food processor until pureed to the texture you like --this can take at least 3 or 4 minutes. Some prefer whole seeds remaining, others a smooth paste. The mixture will continue to thicken. If it gets too thick after a few days, stir in additional vinegar. Scrape mustard into clean, dry jars; cover tightly and age at least 3 days in the refrigerator before using.
    Makes about 1 1/2 -2 cups.

Green Peppercorn Mustard

6 tablespoons white mustard seeds
    3 tablespoons green peppercorns
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

In a blender grind mustard seeds finely. In a glass or ceramic bowl, mix together mustard powder and 3 tablespoons water and leave to stand 30 mins. Blend mustard mixture and the rest of the ingredients until mustard acquires a grainy texture. If mixture seems too dry, add a little more water or honey. Cover and let stand 12 hours before pouring into sterilised jars. Seal. Store in a cool, dark place 2 weeks before using. Refrigerate after opening. Yield: 1 c.

Green peppercorn mustard

Yield 1 c.

3 T. mustard seeds
    1/3 c. dry mustard
    ½ c. hot tap water
    ½ c. white wine vinegar
    ½ c. dry white wine or dry white vermouth
    Big pinch of Cinnamon
    ½ tsp dried tarragon
    ½ tsp dill seed
    2 tsp kosher salt
    Big pinch of ground cloves
    1 tsp honey
    1 T. green peppercorns (drained water packed or freeze dried)

Combine the mustard seeds, dry mustard, water, and vinegar in a bowl and let stand for at least 3 hours. 2. In a small saucepan, bring to a boil the wine or vermouth, cinnamon, tarragon, dill seed, salt, and cloves. Strain into the mustard mixture and stir. Add the honey and green peppercorns. 3. Scape into a food processor or blender and whirl to a puree. 4. Transfer to the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often. (The mixture should be a bit softer than finished mustard, as it will thicken as it cools). Crush a few more peppercorns slightly and add, if you like texture and a little more bite. 5. Scrape into a jar, cool, and refrigerate. Keeps indefinitely. Makes about 1 cup

Pink-peppercorn mustard

¼ c. black mustard seeds
    ½ c. yellow mustard seed
    ¾ c. white wine vinegar
    ½ c. dry sherry
    2 T. pink peppercorns
    1/3 c. EVOO
    2 t. salt
    3 T. fresh tarragon, chopped

In nonreactive container, combine mustard seeds with alchol and vinegar. Let sit 40 hours. Check periodicallly to make sure seeds are covered by liquid; add more if necessary. 2. Transfer seeds and liquid to a food processor. Add remaining ingredients. Process untill seeds become creamy, 4-6 minutes. Recipe By : Martha Sewart Living

Tarragon Mustard (Emeril Lagasse)

1/3 cup yellow mustard seeds
    1/3 cup drinking-quality white wine
    1/3 cup white wine vinegar
    1 shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    2 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves finely chopped

In a non-reactive bowl combine all ingredients and refrigerate overnight, covered.

Transfer the mustard mixture to a blender and process until mustard has obtained the desired texture and thickness it is equally delicious whether you leave it chunky or smooth. Store in an airtight, non-reactive container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Serve with pumpernickle bread, salmon and garnishes.

Creole Mustard Recipe

1 cup dry white wine
    1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
    1 teaspoon celery seeds
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    Pinch nutmeg or mace
    1 cup mustard seeds, toasted and ground (see Notes below)
    2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
    2 tablespoons malt vinegar

Sterilize three 1-cup jars and their lids, and leave in hot water.

Combine the white wine, garlic, celery seeds, allspice, salt, cloves and nutmeg in a small, heavy saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to sit, uncovered, for two hours.

In a large bowl, mix the ground mustard seeds (see notes below) and tarragon and malt vinegars until you have a smooth paste. Return the pot with the wine infusion to a boil over high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and strain through a fine sieve into the bowl with the mustard paste. Mix well, stirring constantly. Pour the mustard into the hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/8-inch headspace, and adjust the lids. Store in a cool, dry place for three weeks before use. Refrigerate after opening.

Notes - To toast and grind mustard seeds:
    Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat and add 1 cup whole mustard seeds. Cook, uncovered, until the seeds begin to pop, about one minute. Remove the skillet from the heat and cover with a kitchen towel until the popping stops and the seeds cool, about five minutes.

Place the toasted mustard seeds in an airtight container to be used later, or grind them with a mortar and pestle or rough grind in a spice or coffee grinder for use in other recipes. Another method to grind seeds is to place the seeds between two sheets of waxed paper and grind with a rolling pin on a flat surface.
    Yield: about 2-1/2 cups

Tart Cherry Mustard

This recipe goes well with pork and sausages, especially Teutonic and varieties such as Thuringer, hunter and summer sausages. The mustard can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
    Yield: 1 cup

2 tablespoons dry mustard, such as Colman's
    3 Large eggs, yolks-only
    1/2 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
    3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
    1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    3 tablespoons dried tart cherries, finely chopped

Combine all the ingredients except the cherries in a large heat-proof bowl set over a medium saucepan with a few inches of barely boiling water. Cook for about 15 minutes, whisking continuously but gently, until the mixture is thickened and smooth; a whisk drawn through the mustard should leave a line. (Do not beat it too vigorously, or it will become frothy.) Remove from the heat and add the cherries, stirring to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary. Cover and refrigerate to chill thoroughly.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

The ones with garlic shouldn't be canned, nor should ones with onion or other low-acid veggies and definitely not mayonnaise-based or with eggs. I'd venture to guess the others with herbs, spices, juices and dried fruits would be OK, but why bother? Some mustards would suffer in canning (thicken and lose heat) and they keep almost forever in the fridge if you can manage to find the space.

These are great-sounding recipes. I have all the ingredients for that pink-peppercorn mustard. I think I'll start that this week.

Carol

• bigfoot839
    Original Author
    16 years ago

more jars more jars now where did i put those lids

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Isn't that the canner's mantra? More jars, more jars.

Carol

• shammierock
    16 years ago

Here's my favorite for Hot Mustard, we use it as a dip and also on sandwiches, etc. 1 cup Coleman' dry musttard powder, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup cider vinegar, 1 cup sour cream (can be light or fat-free) 3 eggs. Mix well, and cook in a double boiler, or a large pyrex pitcher in the microwave. In the microwave, cook for 2-3 minutes, stir, cook 2-3 minutes, stir, continue until mixture puffs up and is thick. Makes 2 pints. Store in refrigerator after cooling. (Can't be canned, but keeps a long time in the refrigerator). Trouble is, it don't last long at our house! Shammie

• bigfoot839
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yea i believe it is carol i know i am always wondering where i can get more jars for a cheap price lol i think after joining this site i am also going to be wondering where can i store more jars after i fill them lol

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

I made the basic coarse mustard from my post above this weekend. 'Bout took the top of my head off! I'm kind of a wimp, I guess. We sampled it right after I finished.
    I'm hoping it will mellow a bit after sitting for a few days in the fridge.
    Whew!
    Deanna

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Deanna, it's been a while since I fiddled with mustards, but I believe refrigeration stops most of the mellowing.

If you want to try it again at another time, you might mix up the mustard but leave out the garlic clove and leave it at room temp a few days. Nothing harmful's going to grow in that stuff! Then you could add in the garlic clove and continue as directed.

Carol

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Yes, I'll keep playing. I have a great Sweet/Hot recipe that uses mustard powder, but this is my first crack at grinding my own. I will probably try one that has other ingredients in it that are sweet (cranberry?).
    I want to make a "Singe Your Hair Off" hot one for my BIL for Christmas. Make I'll just add some Jalapeno to this one!! LOL

Don't get me wrong.... I LIKE my BIL, it's just that HE likes really hot stuff! He sprinkles so many red pepper flakes on a slice of pizza that you can't tell what kind it is! I'm giving him a 'Spicy' themed basket. Dried Jals, Red pepper flakes, whatever the REALLY hot tiny peppers are from Penzey's (they're at home, I'm at work), Habanero Gold, Salsa, etc.

My problem now is what to do with the cup or so of this mustard that's too hot for me! I may mix with mayo or sour cream for a milder spread. Whadd'ya think?

Deanna

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Mustard powders vary in hotness, so when you switch brands or buy a new batch, your mustard may suddenly get hotter or milder.

You can try warming your mustard. That should reduce the heat. Microwave at 50% power for say 20 seconds. Repeat as necessary. Or just heat gently in a pan.

Olive oil will smooth it out and decrease heat. Or of course the mayo you mentioned.

I really need to find my books. We've got boxes of books on pallets stashed in the garage, in the shop, all over the place. It's like some kind of crazy literary Easter egg hunt. Helen Witty has some great mustard recipes in "Fancy Pantry" and "Better than Store-Bought."

Carol

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I want to make a "Singe Your Hair Off" hot one for my BIL for Christmas. Make I'll just add some Jalapeno to this one!! LOL

If you really want to make it singe, forget the Jalapeno and add a Habanera pepper. That should keep him happy and HOT!

Michelle

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Michelle,
    I thought about that........but I don't want to HURT him!! Ha ha
    And........I've already got the Jals!!!

Deanna

• gardenbug_girl
    16 years ago

Learned how to can years ago in 4-H and now that my husband and I got our own little 0.25 an acre I've taken it up again. =)
    I was excited to see all the above posts but when I contacted my local extension service about canning mustard they said they don't recommend any recipes for canning mustard. Does that mean canning mustard is not safe? The nice extension lady did say she didn't know much about canning as it's not "that popular" in my area, but that an extension search didn't turn up any recipes so she said it "is not recommended" as there are no current established processing times listed. My blue book and so-easy to preserve book don't list any mustard recipes either. Is it safe then and just "not tested" by the extension service?

If so, would a recipe like below (my husband's favorite family recipe) be OK to can as there is no oil, egg/milk product, etc
    1c honey
    3 tsp dry mustard
    ~2tsp mustard seed (whole)
    1/2 c vinegar, rasberry
    1/4 c water
    1/2 c white sugar

Stir ingredients, place on medium heat. Bring to full boil for 2 min, stirring occasionally. Place in jars? and then what would i do? BWB? How long?

Also, this is probably a stupid question but what does "EVOO" mean in the pink-peppercorn mustard?

• readinglady
    16 years ago

EVOO: Extra-Virgin Olive Oil.

The new "Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving" has two recipes for canned mustard. Both call for 10 minutes BWB. Your recipe looks quite safe for canning. I don't see anything there to cause concern.

Personally, unless you start adding garlic, onion or eggs, etc. I can't imagine problems with mustard, vinegar, sweetener. They're just not congenial environments for bacteria, canned or not.

However, the Ball CBHP does caution against thickening the mustard too much (over-cooking) as that interferes with adequate heat-penetration.

Prior to the Ball instructions there was discussion intermittently on rec.food.preserving of the pros and cons of canning mustards because it will thicken in the jar but more importantly, the heat of processing may destroy some of the mustard's heat/spicy bite.

I've never canned mustard for that reason and haven't gotten around to trying the Ball recipes.

Yours does sound great. I'd like to try that one sometime.

Carol

• psittacine
    16 years ago

I have a mustard recipe probably still somewhere in my files that I tried once. A chef on a daily news program I watched had developed it. If I remember correctly, it was a cooked recipe that was thickened with flour. HOT concoction! Didn't cool off even after months in the fridge. I didn't like the texture very well.

I worked part-time in a wonderful Chinese restaurant for 15 years. There I learned to love the hot mustard, which is still one of my favorites.

1 part water
    1 part dry mustard powder
    Mix and let sit 15-20 minutes. Cap tightly and refrigerate if not using immediately.

A little goes a looooong way for me. Just a bit of the flavor is strong enough to ooze out of your nostrils and hang up in your tear ducts. Good on a ham sandwich as well as egg rolls, etc. but I think it is especially good used with mayo (in place of the horseradish sauce hubby likes) on a sandwich of sliced pork that has been cooked on the grill. Well, I just planned the main dish for tomorrow nights dinner!

Crystal

• readinglady
    16 years ago

The Spice House sells mustard powder in "heats", a moderate heat for conventional mustard and a "hot" for Chinese-style mustard. Talk about taking your head off!

Carol

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Readinglady, with these powders mixed with water or other liquids, you should wait about half an hour or more before tasting. It seems that if you mix in liqud and try to taste immediately, the taste is very odd. They tend to get more 'mellow' after sitting for a couple of hours. To help add more boldness, grining up some gresh horseradish will also help. Brown mustard seeds (the kind in country style Grey Poupon) have a much bolder flavor. When I make mustards, I like to add some ground up brown mustard seeds too. I use a small belnder style coffee grinder for grinding the seeds. I knew someone who loved to mix the sweet and sour sauce with hot mustard, and use that as a dip. The Chinese type mustard is a specailly bread mustard seed, as the more common yellow mustard seeds you buy don't seem to offer as much kick. Also, the Coleman dry mustard powder seems to be close to the Chinese style. Now all you need is some Wasabe..

• readinglady
    16 years ago

You're absolutely right, Ken. I've never tasted mustard that's not been given a chance to mellow. Every recipe I've used so far, both seed and powder, has sat at least 24 hours in vinegar or wine before being mixed with other ingredients.

I can't say I've ever made Chinese mustard, though. It's just not my preference.

Carol

• awm03
    16 years ago

These recipes sound fabulous. And what a nice change for Christmas gifts (think my giftees are getting tired of my cranberry-orange jam).

Where do you guys get your mustard seeds? And mustard flour? Is Coleman's the same as mustard flour?

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Colemans is in a yellow metal can in the supermarkets, and is pure ground dry mustard powder (flour). The bolder tasting brown mustard seeds can be bought through places like Spices Etc., or Penzeys. Also yellow mustard seeds are quite common, but I prefer to buy them from reliable spice sources. as opposed to the ones you see in plastic jars for 99 cents or less, which could come from anywhere at any time. Penzeys also sells both whole and ground, as well as the Chinese type wich admittedly is also Canadian.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Mustard flour is just the British term for mustard powder, just as cornflour is the British term for what we call cornstarch. But in both cases it's exactly the same thing.

I've ordered from Penzey's also. They have excellent service and quality products.

Another favorite of mine is The Spice House, which is the parent company of Penzey's. (I should say it is the original company; Penzey's is a separate company started by the son.) I find their site is more informative and because they've been around longer their recipe archive is much more complete.

You should save enough buying in bulk from companies like these to pay the cost of postage or even more, compared to the exorbitant costs of the little cans and jars.

Carol

• gardengrl
    16 years ago

It seems to me even the recipes listed above that have onion in them would be safe to can due to the amount of vinegar proportions added. For instance the Bordeaux Mustard listed earlier has only 4 cloves of garlic, but has all that vinegar, wine, etc. added.

Is the acidity or the density of mustard that makes it fuzzy for canning? Or is it just a "taste" thing?

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Not really, mustards can reduce acidity if more water, wine, or low acid ingredients are used. Many companies that make commercial mustads use the 20% vinegar and dilute it down to lower strengths, so that they can add things like honey, cranberries, orange, and many other flavors. Usually if a dried ingredient is added, and it soaks up the vinegar/acid, it should be safe enough. Heck, a commercially made mustard can last a day longer than forever, the same holds true for most ketchup.

• falsedawn
    16 years ago

msafirstein's Spicy German Mustard (which sounds so good!) probably isn't safe to can because of the onion in it, correct? Do you think that onion powder could be substituted instead without compromising too much of the mustard's fresh bite, and would that render it safe?

I'm still learning so much about this process, but all of it is exciting!

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Yes, dried things like onion powder are OK, as is dried peppers and dried garlic. I even have dried honey here. I wish Costco would start selling GRANULATED onion again. It was the only place where I could find the granulated type (McCormick large size). The powder tends to clump up too much. Instead, I decided to run a big jar of chopped dried onion though my small coffee/spice grinder and pour out the stuff into a sieve, where larger pieces were run through again. Just rememeber, that when you make a mustard from dried items like mustard powders, it needs to 'bloom and mellow' about an hour or two before tasting as it can really throw you if you taste it immediately after mixing.

• gardengrl
    16 years ago

I don't understand why it couldn't be canned; it's got 1 1/2 cups of vinegar in it. The acidity ratio should be fine.

For example, the Caramelized Red Onion relish from "Small Batch Preserving" (a popular recipe here on the Harvest Forum) contains "2 large red onions" and only 1 cup dry red wine plus 3 T of balsamic vinegar.

Why would THAT recipe be safe to can, yet the Spicy German mustard, which contains only 1 small onion to 1 1/2 cups vinegar be unsafe????

Again, is it a density thing, because the acidity seems to be alright with me.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

It's not that it's "unsafe," it's that it's "unknown." It might be fine but without testing there's no way to be certain.

There is a density issue as a thick mustard thickens further during processing. Hypothetically if you had little chunks of onion remaining in the mixture you'd end up with small low-acid harbors for botulism suspended in a high-acid mixture that don't get adequately processed.

How likely that is and the level of risk I'm not qualified to speculate.

Beyond that, I return to the quality issue. Once I've made a mustard and gotten it "just right" I'm not eager to stick it in a jar and apply heat, which changes the consistency and dulls the flavor.

Carol

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Most of these are very safe if stored in the fridge. I seriously doubt if they would spoil even after a year or more or refrigeration. About the only thing lost is the pungency, and thats going to happen with most mustards, and some other things pickled in a high acid.
    My mustard pickles have quite a lot of low acid items as cukes, onions, cauliflower and such, and the only acid is the added mustard which is all vinegar, no water. They do, hoever get a heat process.

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

I'm reviving this thread in the hopes that someone can help me with a recipe for Blueberry Mustard.

Also what exactly does "canning" mean. It that the term you use instead of saying BWB or boil in water bath?

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

In short-
    Canning means to PRESERVE for a longer time, some food products that have short term lives and are perishable. Obviously 'perishiable' items can spoil or go bad quite fast if exposed to air, light, and anything else that is found in common air. Canning, is a process where high heat and/or high acidity, high salt, high sugar will reduce, or destroy any possible contamination that is/was in contact with the food inside an air tight sealed jar. To achieve this end result, the heat applied must be capable of at least killing off most all toxins. With dense (thick) items, adding acids and pressure canning at much higher temperatures are very necsessary. The word 'canning' is a more popular term today since the invention of the original process of using metal cans for foods. It can also refer to 'preserving'. But canning, whether in metal or glass is the same. Today, there are still a few locations where actually metal type canning is still done in small scale bacthes. Very useful if you live close by and have an immediate need to get your food stuff protected from spoilage.

BWB is a Boiling Water Bath, NOT to be confused with HWB, or Hot Water Bath. The latter is really unsafe as the heat needed is not as high, or controlled well enough to make home food that is being preserved to be safe for many weeks, months, of even many years!

I just hope that the above definition for the word CANNING is read by all newbees.. Please correct me if I am wrong about the GENERAL statments I have just made..

Pressure canning has the ability to reach higher heat temperatues that should/would exceed the amounts of heat needed to kill the toughest strains of most bacteria.

• lynn_1965
    15 years ago

loves2cook4six,

Here is a site that might answer some of your questions.

Lynn

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

I found this recipe over at Recipezaar, but haven't tried it yet so I can't vouch for it:

Blueberry Mustard

Ingredients

* 4 tablespoons cornstarch
    * 4 tablespoons water
    * 1/2 cup blueberry, more if needed (if using frozen, thaw first)
    * 1/4 cup whole blueberry (no need to thaw, if using frozen)
    * 1/2 cup port wine
    * 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
    * 2 tablespoons white sugar
    * 6 tablespoons prepared Dijon mustard
    * 2 tablespoons prepared whole grain mustard
    * 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
    * 1 tablespoon white wine

Directions

Combine the tbsp of mustard seeds with the tbsp of white wine and set aside.

Whisk together the cornstarch and water; set aside.

Press the half-cup of blueberries through a sieve-- you want a yield of 1/2-cup sieved berries so you may need another tbsp or two of blueberries to get that.

In a saucepan, place the sieved berries, the whole blueberries, port wine, shallots and sugar; whisk in the cornstarch mixture.

Over medium-high heat, bring to a simmer, then let it cool.

Whisk in the mustards and softened mustard seeds well, then refrigerate until needed.

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

ksrogers, I wish Costco would start carrying the granulated onion again too. Around here, there are many Mexican markets and even the regular grocery stores generally have a display of spices in bags that are offered for Mexican customers...I can't remember the name of the company, but that's where I get my granulated onion now.

However, I did a google and found a website that sells it...I haven't bought from them and can't vouch for the site, but you might like to try them...

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

I buy the granulated and chopped onion from Spices Etc., Penzeys, or Bulk Foods. I use granulated and chopped onion, and minced and granulated garlic. I hate that powdered stuff as it just lumps up. I buy it by the pound, that fills one of those big plastic McCormack jars they sell at BJ's and Costco. Maybe even Sams Club.
    Minced and granulated garlic:
    http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysgarlic.html
    http://www.spicesetc.com/product/1011/1

Garlic, minced and granulated:
    http://www.spicesetc.com/product/1037/1
    http://www.spicesetc.com/product/453/1