Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green tomato chutney

Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 12:08

Our family would probably eat a jam or a chutney rather than a relish, so I'm getting ready for our 1st frost in October and what to do with all the green tomatoes that won't ripen inside.

Is this recipe a good one? The color on the website photo is amazing!

Does anyone know how to convert pounds to cups? I dislike recipes that don't state cups because I don't use a scale in the kitchen.

Green Tomato Chutney
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking with Paula Deen Magazine July/August 2010

Servings: 6 pints
Difficulty: Easy

2 pounds green tomatoes
2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
2 medium sweet onions, diced
1 lemon, sliced and seeded
1 orange, sliced and seeded
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 tablespoons mustard seed
1/2 tablespoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 pounds light brown sugar
6 pint canning jars, lids and bands

Directions

In a large Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for one hour or until thickened. Remove from heat.

Sterilize jars, lids and bands just before using for 10 minutes in simmering water or the dishwasher. Remove one at a time when ready to fill.

While chutney is still hot, ladle into the hot sterilized jars, filling to within � inch of the rim. Wipe rims with a clean damp cloth, and seal jars with lids and bands. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Remove from water bath, and cool completely at room temperature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paula Deen's recipe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green tomato chutney

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 15:33

The recipe looks safe - you're cooking the onions and garlic (the only low acid vegetables) for a long time with lots of high acid fruits, vinegar, citrus, etc.

You might find the Produce Purchase Guide on Ball's website helpful for converting pounds to cups and vice versa. I use it a lot to get an idea of how much to pick or purchase for a recipe. You can download it from the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Produce Purchase Guide

o
RE: Green tomato chutney

I don't know the answer, but since this thread is started I'd like to ask another question:

Has anyone tried the Green Tomato Apple Chutney from Fancy Pantry? If so, did you like it?

Deborah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here