Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
readinglady_gw

Extension Service Explained

readinglady
11 years ago

Many times on this forum the Extension Service is mentioned, but following discussion on another thread I came to realize many members don't know what it is.

The Extension Service was established by an act of congress in 1914 as an educational outreach program, originally for farm families (at a time when 50%+ of U.S. families lived on farms). A nationwide network of Extension agencies was established, each housed at the state level at a historical land-grant university with an agricultural program. So here our Extension is run through Oregon State. If you look at the URL (web address) of the NCHFP you will see it's affiliated with the University of Georgia.

The mission of the Extension Service is to improve the lives of families. Extension services teach workshops, maintain informative websites and provide print resources on everything from emergency preparedness (Want to know how to can water for long-term storage? The Extension Service will tell you.) to gardening to food preservation and storage. Family health, budgeting, raising chickens in the back yard - you can learn all those through Extension. Pests in your tomatoes? Check with Extension.

You may know more about Extension than you think. The Victory Garden program of WWII was an Extension Service program. 4-H programs are Extension Service.

In home food preservation Extension services offer a wealth of information on canning, freezing, pickling and drying. Want to know how to cure your own olives? California Extension at UC Davis. Make your own citrus pectin? Florida State. Read the USDA Guide to Home Canning and print it out? University of Georgia/NCHFP or Penn State or Utah State, among others.

Can fish or make your own maraschino cherries? Oregon State. Salsa recipes for canning? Washington State. Learn meat cuts and processing game? Wisconsin.

When you have an opportunity click the map for your state to see which resources your nearby Extension Services offer. Canning is only a portion of the useful services Extension agencies provide.

Extension Services Map.

Carol

Comments (4)

• ellen_inmo
    11 years ago

Thank you Carol! An important organization indeed. Ive learned many things through my extension office. Including plans for mass eradicating of Japanese Beetles (globaly); information I would not have known if I hadnt talked to them.

I have a question for you. What happens if Exentsion offices must close and there is no place to have your pressure canner gauges tested?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Then you have to send them to the manufacturer for checking. Fewer extension offices were doing the checking anyway.

Many newer models are now coming out with no gauge, just weights and that plus their inaccuracy is another reason why we really started pushing the weights here instead.

Good info Carol. Thanks for posting it. I think we older folks tend to assume that everyone knows their county extension office because of 4 H, county/state fairs, and Future Farmer's programs as well as all their gardening info too.

Dave

• readinglady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's why we recommend the three-piece weight for the Presto. The All-American comes with a three-piece weight, so there also a gauge test is unnecessary.

Still, I hope testing continues, mainly because it encourages home preservers to visit their Extension office and see the range of services available.

I feel very fortunate to still have an Extension office in my small town. It's the first place I head to when I spot some new pest in my garden.

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

Thanks for the nice explanation of what we do at the Extension Offices. I work at my local office as the Master Food Preserver Program Assistant. What a great place to work, too ! I get paid to do what I love. I get to meet so many great people both in person and via phone and emails.
    Glad you posted our link here in WA as a place to find out about salsas.

It is getting harder to get gauges tested for several reaons. Many offices have no trained personnel to do it. Some have no test equipment since we have to buy them. Then, it is a liability issue. We are still only able to test them here since we have permission from the Attorney General. We must have the client sign liabilty waivers, too, releasing us from liabilty in case of accidents or illness from home food preserving. We also have had to cut back on the hours we are open to the public due to lack of funding.
    That is, as was said,one of the reasons we suggest getting the weights for a canner, in case you cannot get a gauge tested. Many offices around the country no longer offer this service.
    I personally use the weight sets, even though I test gauges all the time. Just easier for me to listen to it "jiggle" and not have to watch the dial all the time.
    The weight set for a Presto is about $15.