Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leftover Salsa juice - Safe?

Posted by tee_jay ID (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 12:16

Hello,

I am using a vairety of approved recipes out of the Ball complete book to make salsa. When I am jarring the salsa, there is always quite a bit of juice leftover due to the tomatoes seeping juices. I'm not "straining" the liquid per se, just trying to get all the chunky bits and whatever juice comes with them. My question is, if this happens, doesn't it dilute the amount of vinegar in the finished product? I am straining the tomatoes a number of times before putting them in the final pot but I am still getting a ton of juice leftover and am worried about the safety.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leftover Salsa juice - Safe?

The only problem would be if you over-packed the jars - too much solids and not enough liquid - and made it too dense for heat penetration during the time called for in processing. That's a pretty common mistake.

As long as the salsa is still kind of 'sloshy', still soupy in the jars, the liquid equally dispersed throughout the jar so the solids can move freely in it, then it is fine.

When in doubt it is best to add more liquid to the jars then you might prefer and then drain some of it off after you open the jar for use.

Did you end up with the number of jars called for by the recipe?

Dave

o

yes, I had exactly the number of jars it called for and there was quite a bit of juice in the jar (the solids were floating when it came out of the canner).

would I ever want to apply the acid straight to the jar rather then mixing it in to ensure proper acidity?

o

Keep in mind the tested recipes were developed to account for the pH of all the ingredients, including the juice exuded by the tomatoes, peppers, etc. So there's leeway to allow for that.

"Mixing it in" actually is what ensures proper acidity, because as the salsa is heated before jarring up the low-acid chunks of pepper and onion absorb acid from the vinegar or lemon juice. Hence, that's actually better than adding acid directly to the jar because it means all solids are thoroughly acidified immediately.

Carol

o

• Posted by cziga Zone 5 -Toronto (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 22:04

And yet, when canning crushed tomatoes, you boil the tomatoes and add the lemon juice to the jars separately ... If acid is absorbed better when thoroughly mixed with the ingredients, wouldn't it make more sense to add the lemon juice to the pot to let all the tomatoes absorb the acidity equally?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here