Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

My Experiences with muscadines

Donna
9 years ago

A friend gave me nearly ten gallons of muscadines this year. Big purple ones plus the white scuppernongs. This was my first experience with them and I found very little information on the web, except for jelly recipes. We don't need jelly.I wanted raisins. So, I embarked on experiments. In the hopes that my failures will help others, I am posting this here.

First, I extracted the juice with my Victorio strainer, and poured it into the fruit roll up trays of my Nesco Dehydrator. My idea was to make fruit leather that I could chop and use in granola.(Muscadine skins are very thick and the seeds are large, so straining it a necessity.) I kept the purple and the white juice separate.

This was extremely hard work! The skins are so thick that it took a whole lot of muscle to put the raw fruit through the strainer. Then, it took 48 hours for the leather to dry and what was left was very thin. It was, however, positively delicious. Tremendously better than raisins. It's odd. I liked the flavor of the white muscadines best right out of the skin. But I like the flavor of the purple leather better than the white leather. Also, the purple leather had more substance to it than the white. More pulp, I guess.

On batch number two, I thought I would strain out the pulp in a sieve after the food mill step and just use the pulp for fruit leather. I poured a gallon of the white juice through the strainer (that's what I had left) and got about two tablespoons of pulp. No go.

So, the next day I went back to my friend's house and picked more grapes. And on the next batch I tried something different. I found a post on the web where someone made leather with concord grapes. I tried her method which involved cooking the fruit until the skins burst, straining, and then cooking it down to a jam consistency. After that, she dried it to leather. I tried this with the purple ones.

I discovered that cooking (boiling) for a long period of time ruins muscadine flavor. So, that batch was poured down the sink. (ouch)

At the same time (unfortunately) I tried extracting the juice of the white ones with my Victorio and putting it into a crockpot, thinking it would thicken up and not take so long to dry into leather. (I didn't have another pot big enough to boil it in.) I let it go in the crockpot all night and ended up pouring it out too. Evidently, the white juice is even more heat sensitive than the purple juice. It tasted horrible and it wasn't even boiling.

So, this morning, I got up to give it one more try. :)
This time I put the fruit into my food processor and pureed it. Then I put it through the food mill. This was by far the easiest way to get the grapes through the mill. It didn't save time, but it saved an enormous amount of effort.

I intended to just put up the juice in the freezer and abandon the whole notion of fruit leather. But I noticed that the grape puree seemed to have more pulp in it. So I ran it through a sieve and voila! I had an applesauce consistency to put into a roll up tray. It is dehydrating as we speak and I think this might just be a success. I decided to dry it on a lower heat setting too to see if I can preserve the fresh flavor better.

I am considering planting a vine or two for us. A productive vine, it is said, will produce more than 50 pounds of fruit per year. If my husband decides he likes the juice enough to drink it regularly and the fruit leather from puree is a success, I just might do it.

Comments (5)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So how did the fruit leather that was dehydrating yesterday taste?

Rodney

• thatcompostguy
    9 years ago

Lots of folks make wine with them as well. But the leather idea appeals to me more. I'm not much of a wine drinker.

I think you can pop the centers out and then cook the skins by themselves to make them softer. Then you might be able to blend the skins with the centers and make something.

Might also look up muscadine hull pie. Then you would have a use for the skins.

• Donna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry to be so long in replying. Been out of town.
    The dehydrated muscadines are absolutely delicious. The flavor is bright and pure, not like any other dried fruit I have ever had.The trick is to get the pulp out of the fruit. Chopping the fruit before running it through the strainer is definitely the trick.

Next year, I will wash the fruit and take off stems. Then chop it in the Food processor, and run it through a wire sieve. When the pulp in the sieve is about the consistency of applesauce, it's ready to go into the dehydrator. I had the best results in setting my dehydrator on about 90 degrees, which is quite a bit cooler than typical fruit temps. And then, of course, there is all that luscious juice left. I put it in jars and froze it. The flavor is much better if it's not exposed to heat.

• Marcus Toole
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi, I'm a home gardener with five production size muscadine vines. My vines are youngish so I'm still experimenting with things. There are a number of desert recipes for them online. I make muscadine jam with them and then use the jam in savory recipes. I have also downloaded some Asian plum souse recipes and made "muscadine sauce" with them. When processing muscadines there are a few tricks that you might find useful for ext time. If it's a traditional slip skin variety, start by separating the skins from the pulp. Just squeeze the pulp into a bowl and put the skin into a separate container. The best tasting juice is in the skins. That's also where the vitimine and nutrients are. The skin of some varieties are astringent and add a lot of tartness, so some sugar may need to be added. When I make jams I grind up the skins in a blinder and add it to the jam. It makes the jam. There are several muscadine pie recipes out there that mainly use the skins. When extracting juice out of the pulp or skin, think "pasteurizing" you heat them quickly and lightly and then extract the juice. Some will accomplish this using steam rather than through boiling. A little heat does a lot.

Some of the newer muscadine varieties are bread to have firm flesh and brittle crunchy skin. The varieties with this characteristic that I know about are Supreme, Lane, Late Fry, Big Red, Darlene, Black Beauty, and Majesty. (Majesty is a new variety which is not available to the public yet, but this one is one is supposed to be an inch in a half in diameter). These types you can pick while slightly green, cut in half and scoop the seeds out and process like plums. Something I plan to try is to simply can them and make whole sweet pickles with them. However, these varieties when picked slightly green (color turned but not soft), are quite crunchy and sweet tart. so I think they will make a very nice sweet relish.

But truth be told, the big female varieties such as Supreme and Black Beauty are so good I end up standing next to the vines and eating most of the berries right there. Supreme is so sweet that the berries are good to eat long before it fully ripens. So even though it might produce 50 lbs of fruit, I doubt that fruit will go to waste. But the females are just that, female. You need a self fertile variety to go with it for pollination. Supreme which is the largest and the sweetest of the muscadines has some special care needs that the others don't have. The best source of informatiI on on care is the Ison Nursery web-page and You Tube channels. They grow more muscadines than anyone else in the world and give lots of helpful hints.

The commercial muscadines all bloom at the same time. You can extend your harvest by a lot by planting a mixture of early, mid season and late season varieties. Also Late Fry and a few others are long season varieties. It starts ripening berries late (September) and will ripen berries until the end of October. Last year, mine has just a smattering of berries to ripen just before Thanksgiving. God bless.

• PRO
    Dreggors, Rigsby & Teal, P.A..
    7 years ago

All muscadine grape skins are not equal. Some are easier to work with and have the same beneficial qualities. I grow a number of varieties for my u-pick operation in North Central Florida. Probably my favorite variety to work with is Southern Home, a University of Florida cross breed variety with some attributes of a vinifera type of grapes. We slip the skin off of the grape thereby separating the skin from most of the pulp and seeds. The skins can be chopped or run through a food processor. We steam the pulp and seeds and then separate the pulp from the seeds. The pulp can be added to the skins with a little juice for consistency then rolled out and dehydrated. The light purple juice can be used for jellies or consumed as is. If you are going to fiddle around with muscadine grapes a Victorio steam juicer is a wonderful tool. Enjoy

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES