Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandgroper1968

An Excess of Straight 8 Slicing Cucumbers...Please Help!

sandgroper1968
11 years ago

My Straight 8 cucumber vine has looked dried up and diseased all season long but it's still producing an abundance of fabulous looking cucumbers. I've been eating as many as possible and recently started slicing them thinly with some sweet onions and keeping them in a jar in the fridge in a solution of white vinegar, water and sugar.

If anyone has any other easy ideas on how to use them up I'd be most appreciative!

I have at least 10-12lb of them in my fridge right now and more hanging on the vine that could be picked any day.

Thank you in advance :)

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Turn them into pickles (tho not the best variety for that), relishes, chutneys, etc.

If you don't want to can those foods you can always freeze them and many will last in the fridge for 3-4 months.

You might also check over on the cooking forums and the recipe exchange for more fresh-use recipes.

Dave

• missemerald
    11 years ago

I had a similar problem this summer before my vines finally died. We ended up making LOTS of pickle spears, slices, dill relish, and a nifty Indian Cucumber Relish (Small Batch Preserving recipe). The Indian relish is yummy. Also, my mother in law sent me an old recipe for "Ragety Ann Pickles" but the vines died before I could try it. She said they were wonderful (sweet and sour type) but I am now cucumberless (maybe next year). Good luck!

Marcy

• ellen_inmo
    11 years ago

I make plenty of pickles, but what I don't have is a simple recipe for the right vinegrette for cucumber salad. I use a homemade vinegrette for salads and leaf lettuce, but when I eat cucumber salad others have made, the consistency is different. Different ratio of oil and sugar. I just use Italian dressing, watered down a bit. Anyone have a great recipe for this basic dressing? I've had very different interesting ones, but always forget to request the recipe from whoever made it. These cukes are not pickled, but last for quite a while in the fridge.

• ellen_inmo
    11 years ago

Oops, oil, sugar, and vinegar I meant. A lot of people here also have "secret" recipes for things and don't/won't share. I'm interested in a small batch recipe, most are for a much larger batch that I could never eat by myself. I know, I know, this is a cooking question, but surely some canners have a great recipe to share?

• elvis
    11 years ago

I do, I do! We really like this one; I got it from jjjamie on GW in 2005--we use it all season long

This recipe can be cut in half, 1/4, etc.

Swedish Cucumbers (Jag ar svenska)

use as many cukes as you can cover with the liquid: peel them and slice thin; about 1/8"

1 c. white vinegar (5% acidity)
    1 c. sugar
    1 + 1/2 c. water
    2 T. mustard seed
    3 T chopped dill
    2 t. salt

Heat 1st 3 ingredients to just boiling; add mustard seed & dill (dried is okay). Pour over cukes so that cukes are covered.

Store in frig overnight for best flavor (covered). Good for a week or better.

• ellen_inmo
    11 years ago

Thanks Elvis! I certainly will do this one! Appreciate ya!

• elvis
    11 years ago

You're welcome, Ellen. Bon apetit!