Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiebbq87

Canning Barbeque Sauce

katiebbq87
10 years ago

Hi,
I am planning to can barbecue sauce for Christmas gifts this year and am a little out of my league as I've never canned any type of sauce before. Just jams and jellies. Additionally, we are planning to use the below jars and lids and are really unsure how to go about this. Do we need to use a pressure canning system or just a hot water bath? It is a mustard based sauce that is mostly onions, paprika and vinegar and Worcestershire, and mustard.

I want to make sure we can this safely. Any tips??

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Wholesale-Glass-Barbecue-BBQ-Sauce-Bottles-12-oz-Ring-Neck-P67.aspx

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/38-Lug-White-Plastisol-P310.aspx

Comments (7)

• readinglady
    10 years ago

We really need to see the recipe, though even then we may not be able to provide an answer regarding the safety of canning it. Additionally, the application of heat to mustard can dull the flavor so the end result may not be what you wish.

The jars are not an issue for BWB canning per se and we have had members use various specialty jars for jams, jellies and salsas for wedding favors, etc.

However, it will be difficult with that style of lid to determine if it's sealed or not.

I can think of a lot of easier ways for a novice canner to get some experience under her belt.

Carol

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Agree with Carol that this sounds like a potentially risky endeavor for someone inexperienced in canning. Yes you will have to use a pressure canner as you are talking about a very low-acid food. And that assume your recipe is safe to can to begin with. You can't make up your own recipes when it comes to canning, sorry.

And trying to use bottles rather than approved jar containers only increases the risk issues when dealing with low-acid foods.

We need to see the full recipe please and then perhaps we can direct you to some safe containers.

Dave

• katiebbq87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't have our exact recipe on hand, bu this is very similar
    1 cup prepared yellow mustard
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon cayenne
    1 onion

further advice would be very very appreciated! Thank you so much!

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

So this is not a tested and approved recipe for canning obviously. This is a personal recipe made in small amounts for fresh eating only. Sorry, but it cannot be canned for several reasons - unknown density, unknown pH, unknown processing time, unknown shelf stability

No tomato ingredients? Not sure how it even qualifies as a bar-b-q sauce as it is basically just yellow mustard with some sugar and flavorings added. The prepared mustard has thickeners in it and the use of thickeners in canning is restricted because of heat penetration problems and the effects of heat on it. Prepared mustard can only be used in very small amounts in canning.

The link below is to one of the tested and approved bar-b-que recipes available for canning - it allows BWB canning - and you can easily see the differences in the recipe. The Ball canning books also have some recipes for it as do several of the other approved canning recipe books. We can post some of them for you if you don't have access to the books. Just let us know.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Bar-B-Que sauce

• katiebbq87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

well it is a carolina mustard barbecue sauce...the only kind consumed in the carolina's where I live. So no, no tomato ingredients.

I have memories of my grandmother canning a similar sauce, but she passed away suddenly and isn't around to ask. I guess I will just keep researching until I'm able to figure something out.

Thanks for your help!

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Grandmas canned lots of things that would no longer be considered safe today given all the research that has been done. Grandma had much stronger vinegars than we have today for one thing. Plus most things were well cooked after opening the jars to destroy any toxins that might have developed.

But Google pulls up many "Carolina bar b que sauce recipes" and unfortunately from what I read none of them are listed as safe for home canning. They are all prepared mustard based with minimal vinegar (with tomato based sauces the tomatoes give it an acidic pH that makes it safer) and that poses canning risks when sealed into an anaerobic vacuum as canning creates. That risk is not something you'd want to give to friends.

If you can find one that uses powdered mustard an/or mustard seeds it might work. Otherwise you can make, bottle it, and gift it with instructions for fridge or freezer storage. That way there is no risks.

Dave

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Prepared mustard does have a lot of vinegar. When I look at the label on French's mustard I see (in order): distilled vinegar, water, mustard seed, salt, spices, natural flavors and garlic powder. There is no thickening beyond the natural thickening power of ground mustard seed and the pH is less than 4. Balsamic vinegar has a pH of 2.2.

So personally, I see little risk with this recipe as it's primarily mustard (a natural anti-bacterial) and balsamic vinegar. The onion, however, is an unknown quantity, particularly if pieces in the mixture are coated with butter.

But even low-risk, would I can it? No.

The only non-prepared ingredient on that list is onion, so basically it's just various condiments stirred together. That's so easy to make on-the-spot I'd never spend the time, energy and supplies (lids + jars + utilities) to process something that is comprised of previously processed items.

It can be made any time of the year and would keep in the fridge a long, long time; hence, it's a waste to can it.

Carol