Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digdirt2

You need canner rack? Check out this one

digdirt2
11 years ago

Ran across this neat canner rack at Lee Valley. Would work for either BWB or pressure canner or as a second stacking rack for the PC. Stainless steel so no rust and the price looks good too.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: SS canning rack

Comments (21)

• PlantsAndYarn
    11 years ago

Wow that looks like a nice rack. Thanks for sharing.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Wow! Free shipping over $40.00. Maybe I'd better not tell my husband. We love Lee Valley, probably too much for the good of our wallets.

Carol

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

I live a 15 minute drive from Lee Valley's head office store and warehouse so I'm lucky to not have to worry about shipping costs.

If you're ordering something and short of the $40 minimum AND put up kernel or creamed corn each year, I'd highly recommend J.B. Lee's Corn Cutter and Creamer. We got it it this year and it really makes short work of removing kernels from cobs.

Here is a link that might be useful: J.B. Lee's Corn Cutter and Creamer

• digdirt2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I managed to find $40 worth...unfortunately. :) And I agree that is a great corn cutter.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Fruit peelers also can be used to round out the $40. Unfortunately the stockpot I use as a BWB is only 10" dia so I have to keep using the Al PC racks I have.

Non-serrated peelers are easy to find - wish they sold the serrated one separately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit peelers

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I love Lee Valley and have an order arriving on Monday. I have the stainless steel garden tools and they look like they will last a lifetime.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I put in a vote for the Lee Valley stainless double spoon rest. I usually have more than one pot going and it's been incredibly handy.

If you're looking for a stainless rack, another option is the stainless canning rack with lift handles from Kitchen Krafts. They sell them in two sizes, including a mini that would fit a 10" pot with room to spare. It has no dividers and extra rings so small jelly jars don't drop through.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Krafts Stainless Rack

• pattypan
    10 years ago

dave, that's the best rack i've seen, thanks ! i'm getting 2. do you have one ? i'm wondering if it's sturdy enough not to sag in the middle with quart jars on top. lee valley never came up when i searched for stainless steel canning racks.
    has anyone tried their loksak bags in the freezer ?
    on their website there is no free shipping over a $40 order....poo !

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

I've been eying this one--anyone tried it out? I have a 10" stockpot that it might be 1/4" too big for--been meaning to drag my pot to the store and make sure it fits before purchase. Would love it for smaller jam batches without dragging out the big canner. I have the basket which works for up to 4 half-pints, but would love something in the 5-7 range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Progressive Canner Rack

• malna
    10 years ago

balloonflower,
    Haven't tried that one. I have a 9-1/4" stainless cake cooling rack that fits perfectly in the bottom of my 16 quart 10" diameter stock pot. One tip - measure the bottom of the stock pot (I have to use an old flexible dressmaker's tape), not the rim. My pot tapers ever so slightly so it's actually only 9-9/16" at the bottom.

I was going to get the 8-1/4" mini canning rack from Kitchen Krafts but the $5 cake rack works just fine for the few times a year I do a small batch, plus I can use it for other things.

I have the regular size stainless canning rack from Kitchen Krafts and I love it. I've had it for about 4-5 years and it's still as good as new. The chrome one that came with my Ball stainless canner has long since gone to recycle heaven. I used it once and it rusted :-(

• Kerry Vetter
    10 years ago

Stupid question but with the SS canning rack, how do you lower down into the pot of boiling water??

• digdirt2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

how do you lower down into the pot of boiling water??

Same way you'd put them in or take them out of your pressure canner. You just use your jar lifter. Jar lifters are much more dependable, more secure, than canning racks anyway for putting jars in and taking them out.

Dave

• mom2wildboys
    10 years ago

Balloonflower, I have that rack. I bought it with the hope of using it in my 10" stock pot and sure enough, it is too big to work in there. Wah. The opening of the pot measures 10" at the top (from inner edge to inner edge) and the rack just kind of sits on the top of the pot.

• pattypan
    10 years ago

the 2 racks came, and I returned both ! they are super sturdy, but they slope down at the perimeter. I thought the half pint jars might knock the lids against the side of the pot while boiling. on one rack the mesh was wavy, half concave and half convex. nothing flat about it. how disappointing ! a classic rack with just one more concentric ring on the bottom would be perfect. i'll keep looking ....

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

Mom2---Thanks for the heads up! If I get super serious, I'll haul my stockpot in to Sur la Table before purchasing to make sure it actually works.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I just saw the Progressive one at Sur la Table for $15. Thinking about it (though I only paid $30 for the stockpot I use as a BWB!) since the PC rack I use for BWBing allows the jars to move closer together while processing. Maybe BB&B has it? They always have coupons...

• digdirt2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a reminder that many of the various PC - both cookers and canners - plates/racks will fit in stockpots too for BWB canning. They are all sold separately on most of the PC 'parts' websites for prices in the same range as BWB racks.

Dave

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

I only say Sur la Table since chef DH gets a discount, and we also currently have a $10 off a purchase coupon. Otherwise, not sure I'd get it at the full price. It's either that or yet another new microplane grater. Hmmm......

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

As an update on the Progressive rack. I did break down and haul my cheapo stockpot into Sur la Table to check sizing. The canning rack did just barely fit--once home it took a small amount of pressure bending the 'flower petals' up slightly, but it now fits perfectly without scratching or forcing into the bottom. Now, if only I didn't already have a shelf full of jam--farmer's market this morning had 2lbs of strawberries for $1 each.

Visually, it seems like the rack is good enough quality. My careful bending did not appear to stress the welds, though I was very careful to not put too much pressure on them. It fit pint jars just right, and the half pints have to be placed in the right spot so as not to wobble toward the edge, but I can handle that. Looking forward to using it in the future.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

You beat me to it! I bought that rack Friday night and had to bend it a little as you described. Strawberries at 25 cents per lb? Wow, I didn't know they could even grow strawberries (everbearing?) this late in CO! I sold all my strawberry jam - and now am craving it! I have a lot of strawberry mint preserves left - have to make do with those.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

We normally still have late strawberries, seascape is one variety. I still have alot of strawberry jam and jelly, but only a few bags left in freezer to make up this winter. I don't want to make it too early, since I'm only supposed to sell it up to the 1 year mark.

I did open 1 jar of jam at market Friday, and sold to almost everyone that tasted it. One gal said it tasted like the 'Beef House's', which is a high scale restaurant here. Great compliment, I think.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner