Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gator_9a

Herbs in Jams?

gator_9a
10 years ago

I've been looking for recipes from approved sources for fruit jams that include herbs, basil in particular -- like peach-basil or blackberry-basil. (I'd love peach-basil-habanero, but I realize that adding a low-acid ingredient makes it more difficult)

There are posts all over the internet but I don't know whether they are from approved sources & I don't want to take chances. Here's an example:
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/peach-jam/

Does anyone know of such recipes or can suggest a source? (I have Mes Confitures, which has some similar jams, but nothing that matches what I am looking for.)

Is there a general rule regarding whether adding herbs to an approved recipe is okay? Perhaps just by putting them in cheesecloth while making the jam and removing them before canning?

I found an old thread on this topic in this forum, but it doesn't really speak to my question (and it doesn't include Carol and Dave's advice!):
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/herbs/msg1020433419010.html

Comments (6)

• malna
    10 years ago

There are some in The Jamlady Cookbook (she's an approved source). Her basic technique is to infuse the herbs (I've used thyme, lemon verbena, rose petals, scented geranium leaves, for example) in some of the liquid - usually the juice of the fruit or lemon juice if that's part of the recipe. I've used white wine vinegar or white wine in a few experiments, too. Bring the liquid to a boil, add the herbs and steep until you get the desired taste. Strain out the herbs and continue with the recipe, using the herb-flavored liquid.

Go easy on basil - it can get strong/bitter quickly after canning. Hope that helps.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

You can always use dried herbs, though I don't know if you want to go that direction.

As malna said, infusing herbs and then removing the solids is always possible and provides the leeway to use any fruit and herb combination you wish. Lavender, thyme, basil are common choices.

But flavors do often intensify with time, so use a gentle touch and keep notes so if you like the result but want to fine-tune you'll know what to do.

Carol

• gator_9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much Malna and Carol! I appreciate the advice on procedure.

Thanks also for the tip on not adding too much herbs so that they don't get too strong or bitter! It seems like that could be an easy way to ruin a batch of jam.

I'll definitely make notes for future fine-tuning!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I like the infusing method. It gives you the flavor but not the unwanted color.

• thatcompostguy
    10 years ago

Ellie Topp has generic herb jelly recipes in her Small Batch book. Basil jelly is based on orange juice, and it is very very good. Amazingly clear considering orange juice isn't.

My favorite so far is Peach Lavender, I forgot where from.

I made jelly with lemongrass based on white grape juice in one batch and apple juice in the other. I forgot how much lemongrass I used now, but I believe I looked up recommendations for typical tea and made a quart to use for jelly. Next time, I will use a lot more lemongrass.

Personally, I think I'd use more basil in the basil jelly next time as well.

• gator_9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the additional thoughts chrisb & seysonn!

I looked at Ellie Topp's book and it does seem like it has a number of recipes I'd like to try!