Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
springschel

Harsch crock?

springschel
12 years ago

Hi all,

I've searched the forums and the Internet for information about the Harsch sauerkraut crocks to no avail.

I have a family of 4. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the 5lt or the 7.5lt crock.

The questions I have are:

1. How tall is the 5lt vs the 7.5lt?

2. How many cabbages can you put in the 5lt vs the 7.5lt?

3. How much finished sauerkraut do you get with the 5lt vs the 7.5lt?

4. Are there any recommendations as to what the minimum and maximum load limits are? (ie, you can fill the crock a minimum of __ full, or a maximum of __ full).

5. Is there anything you wish you had known about the crock before you purchased it?

Thank you for your help.

-Michele

Comments (6)

• calliope
    12 years ago

Wow, I just googled them, and was astounded at the expense. I live in pottery country, and our local potteries do make stoneware crocks, and they are much more modestly priced. Not as fancy, but work. I have several crocks, and use them for everything from storage to making minced meat and kraut. The one I make kraut in is a five gallon job, easily. Doesn't mean I need to fill it entirely. But seems to me that the last load I made translated into just seven quart jars. Eight quarts are the equivalent of one gallon, so you'll need an eight litre or close to it, minimum to do a seven quart load of kraut.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Please check out the link below. It's to a hardware store in Amish country I frequent. They have the German fermenting crocks, as well as the stoneware crocks, and if this is the same type of crock you are seeking info on, they have the dimensions listed. You may also be able to do some price comparisons and the customer reviews are there as well. I'm not trying to drum up sales for them, but I have purchased items there for many years and they are very reputable and the customer reviews state that they have quite reasonable prices on those German crocks. They also have very good customer service reps who could answer any other questions you might have about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: fermenting crock data

• judydel
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness! Calliope thank you SO much for posting that link. It's the same type of design as the Harsch and so much cheaper!! I have a 10L Harsch and wanted to buy another but didn't because or price. I wish I'd known, I could have bought two from Lehman's for $40.00 more than what I paid for one! But at least now I can afford another. Thanks again!

Springschel I can't be much help to you except to say that I put 2 small cabbages into my 10L and it only filled about 1/4 of the crock or less . . . and it made 3 packed quarts of delicious sauerkraut. I plan on filling it next time. You do need to leave head room. I believe you can only fill them 3/4 full. I'm not sure how Calliope got 7 qts from a 5 L. Maybe she shredded her cabbage finer and it compacted more than mine?

• springschel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys!

Judydel,
    If you get one of the Lehman crocks, let me know what you think.

Calliope,
    Thanks, I've emailed Lehmans :)

• calliope
    12 years ago

I got seven quarts in a five GALLON stoneware crock, LOL, not five litre. That's what I was trying to convey. It takes a five gallon size to comfortably do one canner load of quarts. Much larger than the OP was considering and when I can anything, I want the capacity to do a full canner load.

You're welcome for the link guys. This place is a Godsend for a lot of hard to find items for people who live simply. Apart from my puter, I'm a Luddite. I even trusted Lehman's enough, I got a wringer washer from them and that's a lot of trust. LOL.

• caboodle
    12 years ago

I have a 10 liter Harsch and I do love it. I don't think I could go much larger because I don't think I could lift it easily.

This isn't what you're asking, but something that works really well is a five-gallon bucket (or three gallon or whatever) with an airlock. You can buy the whole shebang for less than $10 at any brew shop. It keeps the air out while letting gas escape. You can just put a plate on top of it to weigh it down or use large ziploc bags full of water. It's uber-easy.

I have a few five-gallon buckets and then four two-gallon buckets which I use for smaller batches of ferments.

Judi