Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judydel_gw

Ended up with more jars than recipe states

judydel
10 years ago

I made this recipe last night:

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/dill_pickle_relish.html

It said it should make 7 pints. But instead I ended up with 14 half pints and 3 pints, a total of 10 pints altogether. I followed the recipe exactly. However, I did leave 3/4" headroom instead of 1/2".

Do you think the fact that I left 1/4" more headroom and used mainly half pints could explain why I ended up with 10 pints altogether?

I measured exactly using a measuring cup for the cucumber and pepper amounts.

Comments (9)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

yes, just a little bit can and will add up to alot. Most recipes are approximate yield, not exact.

I understand if you only had some many jars, this could be a problem, but think of it this way, you got more than you expected.

I've found that if it states for pints and I use 1/2 pints, it makes a big difference, shouldn't according to math, but it does. Sometimes it works the other way.

• judydel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok good to know. I just wanted to make sure that somehow this batch was still safe. My only worry was safety . . . more yield is a bonus of course lol :)

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

The headroom probably gave you an extra tablespoon per jar or so -- 17 tablespoons is about a pint extra. Maybe a pint and a half if your pint jars were widemouth, because of the wider headspace.

Plus maybe your vegies cooked down less than the ones used by the recipe author? Or did you shorten the cooking time?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

That is a big difference. 1 pint more or less is within the normal margin of acceptable error but 3 pints is not.

There are a number of possible causes, some already mentioned and improper filling of the jars is another.

But the real issue is why you would intentionally increase the head space given the importance of using the proper head space?

Processing time is based on using proper head space. Excess head space requires longer processing to get all the air out of the jar or you can end up with under-processed foods.

Since this is a 100% vinegar recipe the risk is minimal as safety is insured by the acidity but you will have slightly weaker seals. But had this been many other recipes it would all require re-processing from scratch.

Dave

• judydel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay I just re-measured.

I had used the "line" on the jar when filling them as my visual cue for how much to fill. I had always thought that "line" was 1/2".

However, for PINT jars that line is 3/4". For HALF PINTS the line is 1/2".

So, all of my half pint jars are correctly done. The two pint jars have 3/4" headroom. I'll refrigerate those and use first.

I did use all wide mouth. Still don't understand why I have 3 pints more!

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

The next most likely explanation is the size of the particles of food, how coarsely chopped they are. Bigger pieces fill up jars more, finer pieces compact more in the jar. Your pieces could have been larger than normal.

Next most likely is the ratio of solids to liquids in each jar. Many tend to overly drain relish solids so not enough liquid ends up in the jars. That can cause problems. It is supposed to sloshy in the jars. Yours may have more liquid and less solids and that is no problem except that it would lead to more jars.

Next most likely cause is measuring issues - 14 cups of food processed cucumbers could easily be mis-counted or heaped or rounded and so increase the amounts. Some folks will even compress the contents (rather than loosely filling the measuring cup) just to get it right to the line on the cup not realizing they are adding extra ingredients by doing so.

Then there is the cooking time. The longer it is cooked the more it compacts. The shorter time it is cooked the more it remains expanded.

etc. Usually it is a combination of all of the above.

Dave

• judydel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay lots of good info.

Well I didn't drain the cucumber liquid or pepper liquid but rather kept it in measuring cup with the solids, and the pieces were fine chopped. I cooked it long enough (a bit longer) and processed it in the BWB per instructions.

BUT I did use a large 4 cup measuring cup for the cucumbers. I needed 14 cups. I filled it 3 times and then half filled it once to get the 14 cups. I probably didn't measure the cucumbers accurately, but rather "overfilled" as you proposed. So here's the big question. If I did add too much cucumber/pepper to the recipe, is it safe?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Yes because it is a 100% vinegar recipe. Only becomes a safety issue with diluted vinegar or low acid, non-pickling recipes.

It is all part of the learning process and we have all been there at one time or another. :) Still it never hurts any of us to remember to slow down and take a bit more care in the step-by-step preparation.

Dave

• judydel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Phewf! I feel like I dodged a bullet, lol.

THANKS!!