Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squeezo Strainer - bad scroll

Posted by bbbbb none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 30, 11 at 13:11

I have had my Squeezo Stainer for years and have always been disappointed with it. It strains out the juice of tomatoes, but most of the pulp gets pushed out with the skins and seeds and makes for a very juicy sauce.

From everything that I have read the Squeezo Strainer is a good strainer but I am not experiencing that.

I am now taking a good look at how it works and notice that the scroll doesn't fit well inside of the screens. There is a lot of room around the scroll, which I believe prevents the pulp from being pushed out of the screens. It isn't a tight fit.

Do I just have a bad scoll? I know that I can replace this part for about $60. Is it worth it to replace it? Is this a good product and I just have a faulty scroll?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. My mother had a strainer and I know the value of it. I would like to have one that makes good sauce, not just juice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squeezo Strainer - bad scroll

I have used 2 different brands of tomato presses/mills over the years - neither was a Squeezo as I find their costs to be way out of line compared to other tomato mills - so I'm not sure how much help this is.

But none of them are supposed to produce tomato sauce directly. Some cooking down of the juice produced is required to thicken it to sauce. Granted the type of tomato used will vary how much liquid you get. Plum tomatoes produce a thicher juice than slicing tomatoes but it is still a 'juice' not a sauce until it is cooked. OK?

A couple of other brands of tomato mills have a couple of choices for the sprial core - one for tomatoes and one for grapes - so IF there are 2 different sizes for Squeezo (I can't find any advertised) then I suppose it is possible you have the small one.

They also have several different sizes of screens that can affect the juice produced. Using the salsa screen with the larger holes may appeal to you more though it does let some seeds through. And you can always run the squeezings back through a second time to get more.

But don't expect what comes out into the bowl to be "sauce". It will be soupy and becomes true sauce only after cooking off 1/3 to 1/2 the water.

Hope this helps.

Dave

o
RE: Squeezo Strainer - bad scroll

I just used a squeezo tonight to make applesauce. It was the first time I used it; a friend lent me hers. I thought there was a lot of good quality apple 'mush' being discarded out of the end of the squeezo so I just dumped it back in the hopper and ran it through again. Worked like a charm. Perhaps that would work with tomatoes, too?

Jill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here