Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missemerald

Certo Question

missemerald
10 years ago

I just found three packages of Certo in my cabinet; I don't use it, must have inherited it from somewhere, and I thought of giving it to someone that does... BUT the "use by" date is August 2011. Does this stuff go bad? Should I just toss it out? Like I said, I don't use it, so don't have a clue.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• cme10ae
    10 years ago

Last week I used one dated sometime in 2011 for some raspberry jam, it turned out perfect. Does the packet feel ok? Was it exposed to extreme heat?

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

It can be iffy. A grocery store I was in last night had 33% off all Ball products (no jars left) so I got some lids. Picked up a package of liquid pectin and it had expired in Dec 2012! Decided not to waste the $2. But if you have it, you could try it. No way of telling how much of a set you're going to get though.

I had 2 pouches of Ball bought last year, forget expiration date but it was earlier this year. Used 1 pouch in March to remake some pectin-free grape jelly that hadn't set, some jars gelled some didn't. Last month I used the other pouch to make 11 jars (2 batches) of a lemon-zucchini marmalade, and it set up really stiff! Of course, that could have been from the lemon and orange, I may not have had to add liquid pectin at all (though the first batch I put in the fridge didn't look like it was setting up, it was really heavy on the squash - Ball recipe - which is why I made Ellie Topp's recipe and mixed them together).

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I agree with ajsmama, it is definitely iffy. You don't say if it is the boxed powder or liquid, they make both.

• missemerald
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is the liquid variety. I didn't know Certo came in a powder.

Thanks.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Another vote for "iffy" results. Odds are 50:50 it won't work and the liquids seem to be even more iffy IME than the powder is.

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I'd not use it, unless the recipe might be something that you would like to have for syrup, just in case.

• malna
    10 years ago

Yeah, I'd toss it. I had some (and for the life of me, I can't remember what I bought it for?) and it was 2 months past the expiration date.

Didn't set. Not even close. Syrup was good, but that wasn't really what I was shootin' for.

Even with fresh liquid pectin, in my kitchen it's iffy.

• Seasyde
    10 years ago

I unwittingly used a year-out-of-date Certo last year for Apricot jam. It never did set up, even thought the liquid usually sets almost too well for me. I don't think I'd take the chance unless I had an abundance of fruit that had to be used up.

• ojibwa1_1
    7 years ago

i used some liquid Certo a week after I purchased I used another packet same box and my freezer jam never did set up.. I would like to ask if anyone knows, can you add more pectin to get to set up or is it something that should be fed to the garbage disposal.. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.. 8/15/16 Thank you

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

Well it doesn't need to go down the disposal just because it doesn't set. It is still edible and most use it as syrup or dessert topping, stirred into yogurt, etc.

Most freezer jam recipes I know of call for powdered pectin, not liquid because of the set problems with liquid pectin. I assume you know you can't sub one type of pectin for another?

Dave

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH