Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerry_vetter

Applesauce flavors

Kerry Vetter
10 years ago

Looking for proportions/recipes with adding other fruits to my applesauce. Just went apple picking yesterday and have a bushel to process (&eat) before this baby arrives :) however wanted to make some flavored kinds this year for my boys too. Last year I made the spiced one from ball and also apple cranberry butter, which was great! But have never mixed a different fruit when making applesauce.

So please send along any recipes you have for applesauce/butter.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I usually add cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg, all to taste. I'm sure it's not totally correct, but that's how a cook. Applesauce the same spices as butters.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

double post

This post was edited by myfamilysfarm on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 16:05

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

When it comes to adding other acidic fruits you don't need a recipe. All you do is cook the applesauce normally and then add a portion of the fruit of your choice, mix it in and let it cook with the sauce for the last 20 min. or so. How much you add is your choice depending on how strong you want the flavor to be.

For example 1 cup of chopped raspberries to a standard batch of applesauce is enough for me. Same for strawberries. But I usually go with 2 cups of chopped peaches since they have a much milder taste.

You have to remember that you are already working with acidic fruit with the apples. Plus you'll be adding lemon juice. So acidity isn't a safety issueas long as you don't try to add low-acid fruits. But density is a potential issue so just don't make it too thick. It has to be freely moving in the jars.

Dave

• malna
    10 years ago

Some I've tried are apple-rhubarb (very good), apple-blueberry (really good) and apple-cherry (would have been better if I'd had more cherries).

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

Just did a maple apple butter. Turned out great--especially for spreading on pancakes! 6c unsweetened applesauce, 1 c maple sugar, 1 c brown sugar, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, spices to taste--I skipped the cinnamon and went for anise stars, blade mace, allspice berries, and a couple of cloves.

• sosusie
    10 years ago

I love making flavored applesauces! Just made 6 quarts peach applesauce. Added 2 quart bags frozen peaches to apples and cooked down together. Then did the same with strawberries.
    In the past I've done this with cherries, red raspberries, and black raspberries. Added a bag of red hots for a really zippy applesauce. Equal amounts of pears and apples is good too.
    Planning on using some of the pulp left from making concord grape juice to flavor applesauce, as soon as things slow down enough to thaw and juice the grapes!

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! Thanks for the safety clarification Dave! Gonna get a batch of rhubarb apple going now!

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

My DD loves pink (cranberry) applesauce, I also make a fruit butter using pulp from grape jelly and add a plum. Bet just peeled cooked plums would be good in applesauce too. Of course any berry tastes good.

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just did a batch of apple rhubarb, very tasty! Next time we go apple picking I will do blueberry apple. Thx again for the suggestions.

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The applesauce seems to have thickened quite a bit. I remember last year that happened too and my apple butter has always been thicker too. Anyway, do I need to be concerned that its not 'free moving'? I processed it for 25 min vs the 15 the recipe calls for...

• malna
    10 years ago

Apples are rich in natural pectin. Same principle as jelly or jam - it's "free moving" when it goes into the jars and, after processing and cooling, it sets and gets thicker. No worries.

If it's too thick for your liking, stir in some cider or juice. Next batch, you might want to not cook it down so much, so it's thinner before processing. The right consistency just comes with practice.