Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berrybusy

Recipes that highlight non-red tomatoes?

berrybusy
11 years ago

I have a big selection of non-red heirloom tomato varieties this year with a color range including buttery cream, yellow, gold, and orange. I realize I can blend them in with the reds, but I wondered if there were any recipes out there that someone uses to specifically highlight a particular tomato or color.

I did see that a major canned soup company now has an orange tomato soup, so I am considering trying Katie's Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup with an orange or yellow tomato.

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I haven't made these since we don't grow many different colored tomatoes. So no personal experience, ok? But I have read here about others using the colored tomatoes to make Annie's Salsa for a bright attractive salsa. I also think the Peach-Tomato Salsa would work great with the yellow and orange tomatoes.

Others have talked about using the yellow tomatoes to make a yellow pasta sauce that had a lot of appeal and someone (can't recall who) mentioned make yellow tomato juice as a nice change of pace.

If you like the Tomato Jam then try it in yellow too.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow tomato recipes

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Tomato Jam recipe? One of the ones malna posted on my "tomato spread" thread, or is there another you recommend?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Are you asking me? If so then no, I don't care for any of the many Tomato Jam recipes - there's probably 50 different ones out there. IMO they taste nothing like tomatoes or like a jam for that matter. If you "want a tomato spread that tastes like tomatoes" as you posted then you use something that is just tomatoes with out all that other stuff added.

But tomato jam appeals to some apparently which is why I said if they appealed to the OP then try them in yellow.

Dave

• malna
    11 years ago

I'm the one who makes peach-tomato salsa with orange tomatoes. Basically Annie's recipe subbing peaches for 1/2 the tomatoes and skipping the paste and sauce. If I could find orange tomato paste and sauce, I'd use them :-) But the Kellogg's Breakfast tomatoes I use are really juicy, so it's thin enough for BWB canning. Also, I've never had to add any sugar. DH nicknamed it "Sweet Heat" LOL.

4 cups orange tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained (I used Kellogg's Breakfast and Angora Orange)
    4 cups peaches, peeled, chopped and drained
    2-1/2 cups onions, chopped
    1-1/4 cups yellow, orange or red sweet peppers, chopped
    1/4 cup yellow, orange or red hot peppers, chopped
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons cumin
    2 teaspoons pepper (if I remember I use white pepper so I don't get black flecks in it)
    2 tablespoons canning salt (kosher salt is fine)
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    1/2 cup 5% cider vinegar
    1/4 cup bottled lemon juice
    1/4 cup bottled lime juice

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. Pour into hot pint or half-pint jars, seal and process in a hot water canning bath for 15 minutes. Makes about 6 pints.

• berrybusy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Going to mention two recipes here, in case anyone else comes looking for non-red recipes.

First, a recipe I just made today. It is from "PUT 'EM UP" by Sherri Brooks Vinton, called CHARRED CHILI BARBECUE SAUCE. I tried it because in the introduction to the recipe she mentions using green chilies with yellow or white tomatoes will result in a pale green sauce, so I thought that sounded like a nice way to use up some of my Cream Sausage variety and anaheim peppers, although after adding the ground spices I ended up with more of a "smokey" green color. I would say it is sweet with a tiny kick (I did use anaheims after all) or maybe like a zippy green ketchup.

The following recipe I have used for many years now. It makes a nice "lemon" jam. The first time I made it and my little sister (much, much younger at the time) tasted it, she liked it. And, she even liked it after she was told it was made with tomatoes... so I knew I had a winner!

Yellow Tomato "Preserves"
    Yield: 6 half-pint jars plus "tastings"

3 cups of yellow tomatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
    *Note* the 3 cups are measured -after- the tomatoes are cooked down
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    4 1/2 cups sugar
    1 package powdered pectin
    1 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground ginger

Scald, peel, and finely chop the tomatoes. (I cut them in half and squeeze the seeds & excess juice out before finely chopping them.) Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Measure 3 cups of tomatoes into a 6 or 8 quart saucepot. (Saucepot must be no more than 1/3 full to allow for a full rolling boil.) Add lemon juice, zest, cinnamon and ginger to prepared tomatoes. Bring to a full rollion boil over high heat, stirring constantly. At once, stir in sugar. Stir and bring back to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off foam. (A tiny bit of butter added at the beginning helps to control the foam.)
    Immediately ladle into hot setralized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace at top. With a damp cloth, wipe jar rims and threads clean. Immediately cover with hot lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.