Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shelf life of home canned goods

Posted by ilene_poconos 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 07 at 13:35

We find that we still have some canned tomatoes and pickles left from 2004 and 2005. I started to toss them out and decided to ask the forum what your opinions are on the shelf life of home canned goods.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shelf life of home canned goods

Any product that was properly canned using safe-tested recipes (i.e. Ball, Bernardin, NCHFP) and appropriately stored continues to be safe almost indefinitely.

So the only real issue is loss of quality. Pickles, for instance, soften over time.

As long as the product tastes good and the texture is pleasing to you, consume in comfort.

Carol

o

Carol, I agree with all you said.

o

We did use Ball recipes so I'm sure we're ok. We always used everything rather quickly except for the last two years. As my children have grown up and moved out, we suddenly found ourselves with more left over each year. Thanks for the info!

o

WOW....I thought home canned goods were only safe 1 year and should be disposed of after expiration.

Michelle

o

My moms green tomato picililli was well past 25 years old and still had flavor, although it was very mushy.

o

No, if it's safe when it's processed, barring seal failure (due to factors like storing in the garage with significant temperature fluctuations) it stays safe.

Canned goods from the Civil War have been tested and still don't have significant bacterial loads. In other words, they could be consumed (though they aren't very appealing).

A lot of canners preserve on a two-year rather than a one-year cycle because it's more efficient, and that's fine.

Carol

o

Are home canned goods safer than store bought assuming home is done correctly? Does home last longer because that is what it sounds like?

o

Most commecially canned items are in metal cans. These do break down and can rust or have leakage issues after a few years. The safety comes from the method and required ingredients used for todays home canning. Without following most of these guidelines, you could risk safety, but because the home canning seems to go the extra measure, its fairly safe and stable, provided you have done things the right way.

o

Thanks for all the great info on here! VERY helpful information and exactly what I was looking for!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here