Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mabeldingeldine_gw

please recommend a pressure canner

mabeldingeldine_gw
10 years ago

My Mirro pressure canner is 3 years old and I've only used it a handful of times for canning tomato sauce, but I am not happy with it.

The weight has generated a lot of rust on the steam outlet and cover, which makes me wonder if it then works properly, and now the handle loosens with every use such that unless my DH tightens it before every load, it will fail to reach pressure as steam escapes around the handle.

If I could find a gasket I was certain would fit my old canner (my mother's hand-me-down), I'd just go back to that although I like the convenience of being able to stack jars.

Has anyone here purchased a new pressure canner they like? I especially like weighted gauge canners. Please share if you have.

Comments (11)

• readinglady
    10 years ago

I recommend Presto as the best buy for the money. Unlike Mirro the company is still in business (Mirro has been bought out multiple times.) and parts are in good supply.

If you find a Presto dial canner at a good price it's easy to convert it to weighted gauge. Then you can use the dial as back-up or just ignore it.

Carol

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I've always used Mirro until I found that I can buy that extra 3-piece weight for the Presto. Now I like my newer Presto as well as my older Mirro. I have 2, 1 mirro and 1 presto, both capable of stacking pints. I also have 2 smaller ones for small batches.

Would strongly recommend buying the 3-piece weight as soon as possible. So much easier with the weights.

Add some vinegar to your water to help keep the rust down. I prefer cider for this use. Vinegar will 'free up' tools that are locked with rust.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

After having both, I don't know if I would recommend one over the other. My Mirro is an older one.

This post was edited by myfamilysfarm on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 14:00

• Seasyde
    10 years ago

For the past 4 years I've had an All American 25 qt.

The downsides are is its expensive and it is heavy (even empty).

The upsides, which convinced me to get it, are that it has a metal/metal seal. No messing about with gaskets. The other plus is it has both gauge and weights. I like the gauge for a visual reference, but the sureness of the weights for accuracy.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

The old model Mirros are a treasure compared to newer models. But if buying one today I agree that the presto 23 qt with the optional 3 piece weight set is the best deal.

We had had many previous discussions of this same question here over the past several years and the Presto 23 qt. always comes out on top. The search will pull those discussions up for you if interested.

I have 2 older weighted Miros, an All American I lucked on to at a sale (would never pay the new price for one) and the 23 qt. Presto that is converted to weights and is close to 15 years old or more. This time of year we use all of them but the Presto is my personal favorite.

Dave

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all. I'm so mad I bought that darn Mirro. Of course I was in the middle of the tomato flood when the gasket on my old canner failed, so I bought the Mirro as it was the one available. I wish I could take it back!

With the Presto, how are the weights? Do they rust? I always add a glug of vinegar to the water to reduce staining the aluminum.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I have never seen any rust on any of mine. Not sure why yours should rust.

I do get some lime build up on mine that I have to clean off now and then because we have exceptionally hard water.

I would suspect the rust is being caused by something else as rust development requires prolonged damp exposure plus some sort of electrolyte such as salt. Any chance you have a water softener that puts lots of sodium in your water. Perhaps it is all the salt in your atmosphere if you are near the coast?

Dave

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It could be something else, but sure looks like rust to me. It began to form the first time I used the canner. I think it is from the weight, and it dripping onto the canner lid.

We don't have a water softener, I do live near the coast but I'm on a tidal river, so it isn't that briny here.

Anyway, I'll look for the Presto canner. I may put it off as I'll probably only have one more batch of tomato sauce. Thanks for the advice!

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

That is rust, I live in a high rusty water area. Your tube isn't the same metal as the rest of the canner.

What I would do is, soak the lid in some 'Red out", it's a rust remover that can be used in wells and most anything else. That will 'clean' out the remaining rust in the tube. Then I would clean it with the redout each year before putting it away.

that canner is much newer than mine (by looking at the weight). How big is it, to me it looks very small, more like my pressure cookers (large size).

I've never had a problem finding seals for the Presto or Mirro canners at my local Ace Hardware. They seem to carry them for very very old canners almost any time, or you can order them online thru Ace.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Agree that is rust and that any of the over-the-counter rust cleaners like CLR, Navel Jelly, aluminum polish and such should remove it. I also make sure to store the canner with the weight removed, make sure it is off the vent pipe except during processing, so that area can dry out really well.

Are you on city water or a well? Well water can often have a fair amount of rust in it. If it is something in your water then it will likely develop on any brand canner.

Your handle problem and loss of steam around the lid is a more serious problem.

I agree that this particular model of canner is a poor one but its issues can be fixed by a qualified repairman if money for a new one is tight.

Dave

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. I am going down to the local hardware store where I bought it to see if they can return it. If not, I'll just get rid of it. I hate to do so but would be concerned if someone with little canning experience got it and didn't understand the need for pressure etc.

I've got a canner full of tomato sauce now and I had to fiddle with it to get it to lock and come to pressure again. Ugh. It looks like the Presto will be coming to me at some point.