Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ekgrows

Hot pepper jelly - Set & flavors

ekgrows
11 years ago

So I've been making hot pepper jelly for years - always follow the BBB recipe that uses 2 packets of liquid pectin. It always sets, but is very stiff. My neighbor suggested I use 1 1/2 packets, so I did on my last batch and it set - still a little too stiff. I've read many posts about using powdered pectin, and how it can take a while to set, but nobody seems to come back to say "yes it did set, or no it didnt". Anyway - has anybody played around with pectin amounts? If so, have you found something that sets, but is not very thick / stiff?

Also - I want to explore different hot pepper jelly recipes. I've heard of cranberry hot pepper, and habanero gold - any others I should try?

Thanks for any ideas :)

Comments (4)

• cannond
    11 years ago

This is our favorite pepper jelly recipe. The colored peppers are gorgeous suspended in the cider vinegar. Looks like little jewels caught in amber. The flavor really is extraordinary.

Make 7 half pints.

2 large red bell peppers (3/4 pound)

1 large green bell pepper

1/2 small onion finely chopped

4 jalapenos, seeded, deribbed and finely chopped

2 teaspoons salt

5 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

6 ounces liquid pectin (commercial)

2 1/2 teaspoons whole cumin seed toasted

Remove the seeds and stems from the bell peppers and process till finely chopped. Put in colander with onion, chopped jalapenos and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Allow to drain 3 hours.

Transfer mixture to large nonreactive saucepan. Stir in the sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, chili powder, cayenne, crushed red pepper and remaining salt.

Bring to a boil, stirring, and cook 10 minutes.

Add pectin and boil for exactly 1 minute stirring constantly. Turn off heat and stir in roasted cumin seeds.

Let stand 5 minutes.

Stir and jar it up. 1/4 inch headspace. 5 minute processing.

This was originally a recipe by Edon
    Waycott in Preserving The Taste, but I changed the kind of vinegar from red wine to cider. Also, you can use other chilies if you like. I often use red and orange bell peppers.

Deborah

• cannond
    11 years ago

Incidentally, if you use this recipe, do please use sterile jars rather than going for a longer processing time. You wouldn't want to compromise the lovely colors.

• ekgrows
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Deborah! I can almost see the jelly - with bits of red, orange, and green peppers. Gorgeous.

I found a bunch of hot pepper jelly recipes at pepper fool. Need to check them out at bit more, but I did post the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepper fool

• vic01
    11 years ago

I use the habanero gold recipe that was posted years ago. I use any pepper of choice as long as you stay with the amount stated in the recipe. I use the larger confetti recipe that makes more foir each container of pectin, have never had a failure with this recipe!!!

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994