Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
food chopper do it really do onions

Posted by jeanwedding 6 ky (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 20, 11 at 13:50

december daisy and pixie lou etc
i would love to a closeup youtube about this Great Vidalia onion chopper.....
I read on here about the onion chopper. It was 20 bucks at BB and Beyond... looked on shelf and saw the WESTON brand for $30 . Had both the 20 % off and $5 off coupon with me. Thought the WEston might be better... I guess I should have bought both.. But that would have been shelling out $50 minus coupons.....
Did find for my peeled cukes first night. Not too fine next day for the cukes. Course only interested in the fine chopping one. The 1/2 inch size one seems to big for relishes.
It would not touch the onions..... Nor the leathery red or green bell peppers. Cut them both in quarters and slices etc , halves, NO GOO ..no go....
SO this BABY Is going back..
you all with the onion chopper I would love to see it actually work..... "says on box as seen on tv" I do not watch television. but that there is a clue it is probably junk
Thanks
jean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: food chopper do it really do onions

Are you talking about the Vidalia Chop Wizard? I can't find anything called the Great Vidalia Onion Chopper.

Or the Weston Multi Chopper which is a totally different thing?

Either way, all you have to do is Google the tool by its actual name to get links to videos on using it.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Chop Wizard Video

o

I have the Vidalia Onion Chopper. Love it. I actually have 2 - so I can put both my DD and DH to work at the same time!

The big screen I use for canning my diced peaches, diced pears, diced tomatoes, and for chopping my tomatoes for salsa.

You can't cut a onion whole on it. It depends on the size, but I usually cut the onions into 4ths. I cut it more if it's a big onion. I would probably have to chop a vidalia into 8 pieces.

This is the only product that I've gotten "As seen on TV" that actually works!

o

The chopper that I posted in my earlier post (I included it here, too) is the one I use and it is fantastic. I've chopped onions, peppers (cut into 8ths so the pieces are more uniform), cukes, summer squash...basically most veggies. It made the process of prepping salsa 10 times faster. I enjoy the process of using my knives. However sometimes it's just more convenient to use the chopper, especially when I need lots of small, uniform pieces.

The caveat I have with it is that sometimes you need to use force to get it to chop through, especially if you're chopping a half of an onion. I've had to use both hands and put my full weight on the top to get it to go through.

I got it at my local hardware store. It is the "Progressive International" brand.

Jill

Here is a link that might be useful: Onion Chopper

o

FWIW - Progressive International makes the Vidalia Onion Chopper, the as seen on TV one. The only difference is a sticker that is stuck on the lid that says Vidalia Onion Chopper.

o

I have the Vadalia Chop Wizard and I LOVE it, In fact I am going to use my $5.00 coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond and get a second one, wouldn't want to be without it, you do have to cut some things to a smaller thickness so it works well but that is still better then chopping it all.

o

I own the Progressive & love it.

Jill writes: "The caveat I have with it is that sometimes you need to use force to get it to chop through, especially if you're chopping a half of an onion. I've had to use both hands and put my full weight on the top to get it to go through."

I broke my first one doing just that. Amazoned two more to take its place maybe 2 years ago. One is still new in the box.

There are a few tricks to using them on diff veggies. Skin side up for dicing peppers & it saves time to slice the onions first. That way the only hard to push through pieces are the very top and the very bottom.

JMO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here