Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cajm_gw

preserving roasted tomatoe, eggplant,onion, pepper sauce question

cajm
11 years ago

Hi, I can my own tomatoes and jellies, and pickled recipes.

I use a water bath canner with most of my tomato and jelly and pickled recipes, but a pressure canner with recipes calling for mixed veggies and meat.

My question is how long do you suggest processing my Roasted tomato,eggplant sauce which also contains roasted onions, peppers, garlic and fresh basil, oregano and parsley, salt & pepper in quart jars in a pressure canner and at what weight?

And/or would it be better to freeze it which I think should be good for at least 6 months?

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

This is your own made-up recipe? Or is it a tested recipe from one of the approved canning recipe sources?

If it your own recipe then not only would it violate the first rule of safety in home canning - that you cannot make up your own recipes - but canning it would be considered unsafe to do per the accepted guidelines. Not only do you not know the pH or the density of it but the pressure canning processing time would just be a guess.

Weight used is determined by your altitude, not the ingredients. Time is determined by the ingredients, the pH, and the density of the food.

If this is a tested and approved recipe then the proper processing time would have been provided for you.

Otherwise canning this is something you do at your own risk and, since it is a low-acid vegetable mixture, with all those other unknowns it is a very risky thing to try to can.

Freeze it.

Dave

• faithlikepotatos
    11 years ago

I preserve my tomatoes and eggplant recipes all the time. Create and can, and enjoy in winter days. I don't use pressure canner, unless I can meat. I water bath all my veggies and creations from it. My Mom did it, so did my Grandma. If not sure, don't can. When I am not sure, I add a tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice before I screw the lid on. Happy canning! P.S. I never lost a can to spoilage and I keep everything super clean and hot when canning.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

That doesn't mean what you're doing is without risk. It means you've been lucky so far.

One family's experience is too small a statistical sample to draw meaningful conclusions as to the relative safety of a process.

It only takes once, and it could be the next jar you pull off the shelf.

But it's totally up to you.

Since you're inquiring about a roasted sauce (with oil? or not) you're describing what's probably quite a dense low-acid mixture. I've had good luck freezing a similar blend in a jelly roll pan to form a thin even layer and then once frozen, cutting into large quart-size squares (approximately) and vacuum-sealing. It lasts very well that way, easily until next season.

Carol

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I preserve my tomatoes and eggplant recipes all the time. Create and can, and enjoy in winter days. I don't use pressure canner, unless I can meat. I water bath all my veggies and creations from it. My Mom did it, so did my Grandma. If not sure, don't can. When I am not sure, I add a tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice before I screw the lid on. Happy canning! P.S. I never lost a can to spoilage and I keep everything super clean and hot when canning.

Your choice. Your risk to take. But it is irresponsible, in light of all the information available, to advocate such hazardous methods to others.

May your luck continue.

Dave