Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best method to remove skin from peppers?

Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 14:00

I have a ton of huge, sweet, red peppers that I plan to can but I'd like to remove the skin first. In the past I've done the "char-on-grill and steam-in-sealed-container" method and it has worked just fine, but I was talking to a coworker who said she peels peppers like she does tomatoes. In other words she dunks the peppers in boiling water for a few seconds and then plunges them into an ice water bath. She said the skins slip right off.

I haven't seen this mentioned in any recipes I've seen and was wondering if anyone has tried it?

If it works does it only work on whole peppers, or can I stem and seed them and then blanch them to remove the skin?

Thanks!
Bart

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best method to remove skin from peppers?

I have not tried that method, though reason tells me it would certainly work.

I'm guessing if you stemmed and seeded them then blanched, you'd be exposing the inner flesh to boiling water, and you may not care for the results.

Carol

o
RE: Best method to remove skin from peppers?

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 15:11

Thanks Carol.

Good point! And I just realized the other thing you wouldn't get was that good charred/smokey taste. Duh! That's probably the best reason to keep doing it the standard way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here