Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bertiesgirl

Forgot to adjust for altitude

Bertiesgirl
9 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but wonder if anyone out there can help? I just got a huge amount of fruit and started canning (in a boiling water canner), only to realize four days later that I forgot to adjust for altitude. Can I simply put them back in again, this time processing them for the correct amount of time?

Comments (6)

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

Reprocessing has to be done within 24 hours. There are people here with much more knowledge than me on what to do now. It would probably help if you specify what you did, the type of pack, and time processed.

• Bertiesgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Using the hot pack method I made Peach Salsa, Peach, Pear & Citrus Conserve, Brandied Peaches and Pears, and Pear Mincemeat. I followed the processing times in the recipes, so I removed them all about 15 minutes too early (we're over 6000 feet).

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Peach Salsa - I'd toss it, with the low-acid ingredients in there it's not worth the risk since it was underprocessed.

Pear & Citrus Conserve - couldn't find recipe - are there nuts in it? If so, I'd toss.

Brandied Peaches & Pears - I'm assuming it's like the recipe in Joy of Jams - just fruit, brandy, sugar, vanilla? Might be OK, just watch for mold.

Pear Mincemeat - same thing, pears, dried fruit, sugar, spices - if the color isn't so dark you think you'd miss mold, you might take a chance and keep it.

The reason for processing high-acid fruits is to keep molds and yeasts from growing, kill any bacteria or spores, and also to preserve the color. With high-sugar preserves there's less of a chance of spoilage but it's your call. I know it can be heartbreaking to throw out jars you spent a lot of time, money and effort to make. I really don't know since 15 minutes sounds like a lot to have underprocessed by.

• malna
    9 years ago

Acidic fruit recipes not processed for altitude will be OK to eat, BUT the storage time will be less. If it was me, I'd mark them and plan to use them up within probably two to four months.

The biggest concern for those will be mold because it wasn't heated up quite enough - at least with mold, you can see it and maybe even smell it.

If the peach salsa was acidified appropriately, that should be fine for a shorter storage time as well.

Hope that helps.

• eddie1025
    9 years ago

You could try freezing. It will take up a lot of space but if you have a chest freezer you might make it work.

Even if you freeze them, you are still taking a slight risk that something has grown in there in the four days since you processed so you have to make the decision about risk for yourself.

Personally, I would feel fine freezing but I wouldn't feed it to children, elderly, or people with compromised immune systems.

• Bertiesgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone for your good advice. Looks like I'll be freezing some and trying to eat the rest very quickly! Thanks again for taking the time to help!