Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruralpa

Pomona Pectin question

busylizzy
15 years ago

I switched to a pectin called DutchGel, we can get here locally for bulk at the Mennonite stores, sure is cheaper than buying Ball or Certo,longer shelf life etc.

The finished product using rhubarb, raspberries, elderberries or blueberries was fine,but the low sugar strawberry jam ended up having a consistency I was unfamiliar with. Someone who tested it said was like freezer jam, flavor was superb.

Wondering if Pomona might have the same consistency as a full sugar strawberry jam.

Need to buy pectin soon, almost out.

Comments (9)

• Linda_Lou
    15 years ago

Pomona's turns out thick, like regular pectin. It is a bit more cloudy in look, though, is what I find with it.
    I really like Pomona's.

• busylizzy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Will get the same gel properties with ClearGel, shelf life, batch flexibility with a clear product do you think?

Cloudy, that is a good word for the strawberry jam I made.

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

I find the Pomona is more "slippery". I don't know how to describe it any other way. I'm fine with it and like the fact I can make low/no sugar jams. And the fact that I can make any size batch I want!
    I guess "like freezer jam" is a pretty description as well.

I hadn't thought about using ClearJel. I think it's more
    expensive though (could be wrong, haven't really looked for it lately). Has anyone tried it for making jam products?

Deanna

• reba_grows
    15 years ago

I have used it with no sugar jam I make in the breadmaker...I've done peach, blueberry and strawberry and my Zojiruske breadmaker manuel has a recipe for apple and mixed berry that I'm sure could be made no sugar and with Clear-Jel. I added a very small amout of spenda when still warm, before refrigerating or freezing, the jams have to be refrigerated for no more than about 3 weeks or frozen.

I use 1 or 2 TBS of Clear-Jel per the required 2 cups of fruit and 1 to 1 and 1/2 TBS lemon juice. I drain the fruit after preparing, and use whatever juice I have, add it to the lemon juice to wisk in the Clear-Jel. Then I add the slurry to the fruit, stir and plug it in. I add more Clear-Jel mixed with a tiny bit of fruit juice or water, if the jam is looking too thin, or add juice/water without more clear-jel if the jam is too thick, most anytime along in the cooking.

The thing is- I don't know if the same ingredients and procedures (more or less) would work with a large batch of jam, that would be BWB processed, to store on the shelf.

And also, I think it can make a difference what kind of Clear-Jel you use for canning and/or freezing in general.

Rebecca

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Any time you use sugar substitutes or reduce the sugar the characteristics of the preserve will change. The mouthfeel will be different, the color and the keeping qualities. That doesn't mean you won't like it. It just means it's not going to be the same. Some prefer low-sugar/no-sugar preserves; others have health issues that require the shift.

Here's a Washington Extension document on ClearJel, including some jam recipes. That might answer your questions.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Using ClearJel

• reba_grows
    15 years ago

Thanks readinglady for that link.....I had the one from http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3160.htm
    about clear-Jel for canned pie fillings, but did not have one for the jams. Rebecca

• busylizzy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Carol for the link.
    I guess I will have to order both and just test all 3 pectins side by side.
    Hate to admit that it was probably 20 years ago when I would make no sugar diabetic jams for my Dad and Secretary. Who knows what I did with those recipes! that was prior to lite type pectins, and the products were, of course darker due to the longer cooking required to jell. I used to make my own apple pectin also. I have plans to make some Kiwi pectin this fall.
    Personally, I have no dietary requirements for low/no sugar, but for some products I prefer it. I do not use artifical sweetner in anything.

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

Thanks Carol! I just hadn't even thought about using Clear Jel instead of Pomona's for low/no sugar jams.

Deanna (off to see if I can find some!!)

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

FYI, In another very recent thread, someone asked about where to buy Pomona cheap. I posted a link at that site. Its $2.92 each box. Clear Gel (jel) is a thickener like cornstarch I suppose it could be used to thicken things like spreads too. A low/no sugar pectin tends to get watery. Pomona usually stays quite stable. As mentioned, its the sugar or lack of that can govern the actual spreading of it. I sometimes add a little honey to a sugar free jelly made with Splenda and Pomona. I also like adding extra acid, in the form or an blend of citric, malic, and tarteric. These three acids give many jellies a bit more 'character', as well as flavor.