Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes still be good for canning ?

Posted by bebet (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 14:18

Hi,
I hope someone can help. I had frozen tomatoes to can. I took the out yesterday to thaw and planned on canning them today. Well we had a family emergency with my mom and I will not have tome today as I need to head back to the hospital. Do you think these will last until tomorrow. I hate to toss them. But obviously my Mother comes first. They have been in the fridge since taking them out of the freezer. So some are still even a little frozen. I just want to be sure. Thank you for any help...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes still be good for canning ?

They are fine to use within that 24 hour period. Otherwise I'd put them back into the freezer.

Dave

o

Wow, didn't know you could can them after freezing. Is there anything special you have to do in order to can tomatoes after they have been frozen?

o

Very common practice. Many here do it regularly either to save up enough to make digging out all the canning equipment worthwhile or to save the tomatoes so they can do their canning in the fall when it is cooler. When thawed the skins slip right off. Personally I cut out the cores before canning - easier that way - but it isn't required.

Nothing special required. Many posts here about it.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here