Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crushed tomatoes

Posted by canfan none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 11 at 14:18

I'd like to use to food processor to crush the tomato's for canning. Is this an ok thing to do? Also I grew mostly Roma's which are on the thick side. If it is ok to use them for BBB Crushed Tomatoes? If they are "really" thick and not lots of liquid should I add a bit more lemon juice to thin out the jar?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crushed tomatoes

The instructions for crushed tomatoes is pretty specific in how the tomatoes are to be processed. - wooden mallet. Best to think of them as smashed tomatoes while yours will be pureed. :)

Pureed tomatoes are more of a sauce, especially since you are using Romas. So it will have a thicker density than regular crushed tomatoes would.

So since you are making 'sauce',I would use the tomato sauce processing instructions. That means adding the same, normal amount of acid and heating them to boiling first and hot packing.

JMO

Dave

o

I use my immersion blender for my crushed tomatoes - since I want to make sure everything is broken up. A lot less work than a wooden mallett.

Crushed Tomatoes and sauce both require 35 minutes processing for pints. Crushed requires 45 minutes for quarts, whereas sauce only requires 40 minutes. But I pressure can my quarts at 6 lbs for 20 minutes.

o

Thanks for the help.. Will go the tomato sauce route just don't need to cook these Romas down much.. they are pretty meaty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here