Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reba_grows

an electric WB canner pot at KitchenKrafts, any thoughts?

reba_grows
15 years ago

I noticed at Kitchen Krafts they have a new item. It's called an elecric water bath canner. They bill it as an item for canners who have flat surface stovetops.

I think it would be perfect for me. I have to can on my porch nowadays. That has led me first to using a portable double electric burner hotplate type cooker. My BWB canner straddled both burners, both on high. It was ok for jams and the like, but worried me for pickles & relishes & salsas etc since it seemed uneven.

So then I went to a large propane cooker, like you'd use to fry a turkey. That's what I've used until now, but it's big and I find it's hard to keep the heat LOW enough. Besides the fact that a large amount of open flame on the screened porch worries me too. Outside completely is just too far and difficult from my kitchen.

Hence the question about this new canning pot....

The description says:

'Plugs into wall outlet. Adjustable thermostat allows precise control from 85°F to boiling. Use spigot to empty hot water - no more lifting heavy pot to empty.

Kettle body is high quality stainless steel, lid and heater base made of heat-resistant FDA-approved plastic. Can also be used to simmer large batches of soup or stew. Will accommodate 7 mason-style quart jars.

Interior is 14-1/4' in dia. by 11-3/4' high (7.93 gal capacity).

115 V AC, 1380 watts. Includes rack and instructions. One year warranty."

So, that would make it bigger than my 21 and 1/2 Qt. typical black porcelain on metal canning pot, so my stainless steel rack would fit fine.

Has anyone used an item like this? If not, what do you think? The great expense of it would only be worth it, if it does what it says it will do. (I especially like the spigot at the bottom. No more trips back to the kitchen with large containers of boiling hot water to empty.)

I had wanted to try some low temperature pasteurization treatment for my pickles. I live at an altitude that requires an additional 5 minutes of canning time. Even with pickle crisp, ice and salt water baths etc., that extra 5 minutes makes a big difference in the texture of the finished pickle. Since the water in the low temp.method has to be kept precisely between 180 to 185 degrees, I could never get or keep the temp at such an accurate range with my hotplate or propane. This electric canner pot has an adjustable thermostat that might make it possible to keep it in that temperature range and finally be able to use those recipes (from the USDA) that use the technique.

The following link takes you to the picture of the pot and description/price. No manufacturer name- I assume it's made in China.

I could sure use some feedback on it, before I buy. I've tried on the web to get some reviews but it must be too new yet.

Thanks, Rebecca

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

No link. I'll see if I can find it.

Dave

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Well it says it will hold 7 quart jars so that part is ok. Expensive as all get out - way too expensive for me to feel it is worth it though!!!

Temp control says "85 degrees to boiling" - since active boiling is what you need I'd have to see it working to trust it but then I'm old and conservative (except when it comes to politics ;)

Honestly, my main concern would how much of the bring to a boil and cool down time would be affected?

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Electric BWB

• reba_grows
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for putting the link in for me Dave.
    Do you use gas in some form now? It IS nice to be able to turn the gas off as the heat is immediately OFF. Is that why you were concerned about the bring to a boil and cool down times... because cool down can be a bit of a problem with electric? I've not had a problem with electric as far as heating up fast enough to get to the boiling.

As long as I have you here Dave... at the end of the processing time- do you turn the heat off, take the lid off the pot and leave the jars for 5 minutes in the water before removing, (recommended by some and not mentioned at all by others), or do you (as I have always done) remove the jars right away after the processing time is over?

Thanks for your answers as always.
    Rebecca

• Linda_Lou
    15 years ago

I would not waste my money. We have used them at the extension office. They take a long time to come to boil, if they even do.
    My friend just got one, the thing won't even boil ! They will not take it back, either.
    So, that is my experience.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Is that why you were concerned about the bring to a boil and cool down times... because cool down can be a bit of a problem with electric?

No my concern is heating up and cooling down times are part of the approved processing times. testing was done on the standard BWB canner so if this machine comes to a boil faster (or very slowly as Linda Lou says) then your processing times are skewed. How much would just be a guess.

at the end of the processing time- do you turn the heat off, take the lid off the pot and leave the jars for 5 minutes in the water before removing, (recommended by some and not mentioned at all by others), or do you (as I have always done) remove the jars right away after the processing time is over?

I use both gas and electric and turn the heat source off at the end of the required processing time. I remove the lid but I let the jars remain in the canner for 5-10 mins until most the bubbling in the product stops. Then remove them. Found over the years that I get many less seal failures that way.

Dave

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Although the Weck is identified as a boiling water bath where it's most commonly used is as a pasteurizer for small home dairies (i.e. pasteurizing goat milk, artisinal cheesemaking, that sort of thing).

I don't think the time to come up to temp would be a safety issue. You would have to allow plenty of time for the water to reach temperature and verify temperature is sufficiently hot before you add the jars. However, if temp drops and recovery time is slow you may find product quality suffers (overcooked) as you don't start counting time until the water returns to a boil.

Carol

• reba_grows
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all of you for such prompt responses, it's really helped me decide. I did check out the electric turkey fryer as WBC, seems problematic like the electric WBC, so thanks for the link to view.

I've decided I'll stick with the propane and save our money....Hubby is sooooo happy :0)

Thanks to all,
    Rebecca

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Unless you have lots of money and a smooth top stove, these are costly and slow. To get to boiling they need plenty of heat and high wattage elements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plug in canner

• bimbo69
    14 years ago

Hello Everyone. The electric canner that you are talking about is not a good one. The good one is made by Weck from Germany. The juicer is a separate insert and not a spout. Look for the WECK canner it is so much better and safer. I have had mine for over 10 years and no problems. Betty at hurrahforall@yahoo.com

• espresso
    13 years ago

The Weck canner does work well ... in countries with 220V. The difference in voltage is what makes it so slow to heat.