Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantsandyarn

Freezing Eggplant Slices

PlantsAndYarn
11 years ago

Just thought I would share my experience with freezing eggplant.

Although this is my first year of canning, I have been freezing my veggies for several years. Every year I grow eggplant & every year I give away 10 times more than I use (which isn't easy b/c not everyone likes them). I really like eggplant parmesan, but it's too hot in the summer to heat up the oven & house for a meal.

This year I decided to find a way to freeze them. Since the recipe said to use 1/4 cup of lemon juice per gallon of blanching water, I wasn't too sure how they would taste. Didn't really want lemony tasting eggplant, but went ahead & made them anyway.

I peeled, sliced, sweated, rinsed & blanched the eggplant. Then I put the slices between 2 towels & patted them dry. Then I covered each slice with flour, then egg, then cracker crumbs. I placed each slice on a cookie sheet with wax paper on it. I placed that in the freezer. When frozen, I wrapped them in wax paper, then placed in a gallon freezer bag.

Last week when the kids were here(more judges that way), I tested my frozen eggplant by making a huge pan of eggplant parmesan. I fried the eggplant frozen, then assembled the dish & baked in the oven.

It was great!! Everyone who likes eggplant raved about it. And no lemon taste at all! This is the way to go with eggplant! Since I will be canning my tomatoes next year, I will have more room in the freezer. So I may grow a few more eggplants now that I don't have to eat it all up during the growing season.

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Good info. I've got about 6 small Ichibans in the fridge that I need to do something with so I'll give it a try.

Thanks for posting it.

Dave

• pqtex
    11 years ago

For eggplant parmesan, I don't blanch the eggplant slices and freeze...I prepare and completely pre-cook the eggplant exactly as I would for eggplant parmesan. After cooling the fried eggplant slices, then I freeze them, separated with freezer paper or waxed paper. Or they can be placed on a cookie sheet and frozen just enough they won't stick together, then package and freeze. Either way, they are absolutely delicious for eating by themselves or in eggplant parmesan. I don't thaw them before putting them in the casserole dish. yum, yum, yum!

• ekgrows
    11 years ago

I have always just frozen fried eggplant slices. I pick my eggplant, slice, bread and fry it, and then freeze between sheets of wax paper. When I want to make parmesan, just take it out (still frozen), layer it with cheese, sauce, etc, and bake. Works quite well, and saves the whole blanching step.

• PlantsAndYarn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops, forgot to mention blanching time is 4 min. I tried to consistently slice them (recipe said 1/3 of an inch)but some were thick while some were thinner. They all came out great, regardless of thickness. I like to grow the Black Beauty eggplants. I am so tickled about how well this worked out. In the summer I am way to busy with outside work, then way to tired afterwards to really cook large meals or involved meals. Plus with the heat (no AC in house) everyone else usually doesn't want much to eat. Now in the winter I can enjoy my eggplant!

• PlantsAndYarn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did read that some people fry the eggplant then freeze them. I also read about some folks just making the whole dish & freezing it. I don't have that much freezer space to prepare the whole dish,lol.

I went with the blanching method b/c I thought that way I could just fry it alone or fry it & make eggplant parmesan, depending on my mood. How do you heat them after they are fried & frozen to just eat alone? Microwave?

I am just happy that I will be having eggplant in the winter time.

• pqtex
    11 years ago

I'll microwave them to just eat them by themselves. Or you could reheat in the oven, or even skillet heat them a bit. For eggplant parmesan, I don't thaw them out and just make up the dish then put in the oven. I don't usually make up the casserole ahead of time for the freezer, but I do put the leftover eggplant parmesan in the disposable foil pans for a "free" meal later. Another good dish with the eggplant is to slice it really thin longways, then bread and fry like you were making eggplant parmesan. When cooked, spread with a cream cheese mix with whatever seasonings and herbs you want, seems like I used basil or oregano. Roll up your slice jelly-roll style and secure with a toothpick. Eggplant rollatini. Makes a good appetizer, Check online for the recipes. Seems like I served sauce over them or to dip them in. They can be frozen, too, and thaw them to spread with the cream cheese.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals