Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judy_1951

canning spaghetti sauce with meat

Judy.1951
9 years ago

Years ago I canned my home made spaghetti sauce (10 years), I decided to try it again, I was just reading that you need to put lemon juice in anything canned with tomatoes. I do not remember doing this. I just finished a batch, can you tell me if it will be safe to eat, without lemon juice in it?

Comments (8)

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

I just realized that I missed the "with meat" part of this, therefore my post was incorrect and irrelevant. Deleted.

This post was edited by balloonflower on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 22:49

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

NCHFP Spaghetti Sauce (with and without meat, only difference is meat instead of oil and longer processing time for meat) don't use acidification. But how close is your recipe to theirs? I'm assuming you PC'ed it, how long? You may have bigger problems than acidifying the tomatoes, with the meat in there.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

This is a tested approved NCHFP recipe....The one you used is your own cooking recipe and not a canning recipe or am I misunderstanding you...

What exactly were the ingredients, how close does it come, also in density, processing time (pressure canned)....

Here is a link that might be useful: nchfp spaghetti sauce with meat

• Judy.1951
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My recipe has sausage, ground beef, onions, peppers, tomatoes from my garden, celery, spices, sugar, and garlic. I start by boiling down the tomatoes, sometimes I will cook them down for a day. I cook sausage and ground beef. Add celery, onions, and peppers. Then add garlic, and spices. I cook this all together a few hours. Then do a hot water bath for 70 minutes.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

You're risking botulism BWBing meat and low-acid veggies. You were lucky 10 years ago, may not be as lucky this time. Follow a tested recipe and get a PC if you want to can spaghetti sauce. Or BWB tomatoes/tomato sauce and add the meat and veggies after you open the jar.

If you took them out of the BWB less than 24 hours ago you can open the jars and freeze the sauce (in containers that won't break in the freezer, wide-mouth jars or plastic).

Here is a link that might be useful: Just plain tomato sauce (can be BWBed)

This post was edited by ajsmama on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 18:47

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

The Ball Blue Book has recipes for a Seasoned Tomato Sauce and a Basil Garlic Tomato Sauce. Both are BWB (boiling water bathed) and both have some added low-acid ingredients. They are acidified with bottled lemon juice. As ajsmama said, you can adjust the taste more to your liking and add the meats when you open the jar.

Rodney

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Then do a hot water bath for 70 minutes.

I suspect that somewhere along the way that fact that this was supposed to be pressure canned (not BWB) for 70 mins. got lost from the instructions. Not that that would make it a safe recipe fro canning but it would be at least a little safer.

BWB processing for meats has never been approved. Pressure canning has always been required for meats since the early 1900's. So failure to add the lemon juice is the least of your problems. Per the guidelines even with added lemon juice it still would not be considered safe to consume. But the choice is yours.

Dave

• vic01
    9 years ago

I canned spaghetti sauce with meat one year. That was the end for me. Now I make spaghetti sauce, no meat and cook my meat when I make spaghetti. It's so much easier and a lot less hassle. Sorry no technical info but just plain makes sense to do it the easiest way.