Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charshot

Recipe for Pickled Garlic?

charshot
16 years ago

We have a ton of garlic this year and want to make pickled garlic. I hesitate to "search the net" for a recipe as I have heard most recipes result in garlic that is no longer crisp. Anyone with something tried and true? Thank you!

Comments (11)

• jimster
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Linda Lou provided a really good one some time ago. I expect she will pop in here with it again. If not, I have it and will post it.

Jim

• charshot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I would appreciate it. I just discovered this web site (by accident) - I've just spent several hours reading....

• John__ShowMe__USA
    16 years ago

Not what you are looking for I think, but something I have done and know works.

Refrigerator Pickled Garlic

1 part 5% vinegar of choice to 1 part sugar
    Peeled garlic cloves

Gently heat the vinegar and sugar until sugar dissolves and then let cool.
    Pack garlic in jars, add the vinegar/sugar and refrigerate.

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

You have your choices here:
    It may turn green or blue when pickled.

PICKLED GARLIC
    Makes 3 half pints

3 cups peeled garlic cloves
    1 1/2 cups white vinegar 5% acidity
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp.canning and pickling salt

Add the garlic cloves to a pan of boiling water. When it returns to a boil, boil 1 minute. Drain and pack the cloves into hot half pint jars. Leave 1/2 inch headspace.

Heat the vinegar, sugar and salt to a boiling. Pour the hot liquid over the garlic in the jars. Leave 1/2 inch headspace.

Remove air bubbles. Wipe top of jars and threads clean. Seal with hot lids. Process in water bath for 10 minutes.

Allow to sit in sealed jars for a few days before opening to allow flavors to develop.

PICKLED GARLIC 2

2 lb.large garlic heads
    1/3 fresh ginger,peeled and thinly sliced
    1 cup coarse salt
    7 dried red chiles
    2 cups white wine vinegar
    1 cup dry white wine
    2 1/2 T. mustard seed

Place garlic in large saucepan with enough water to cover with water. Bring to boil over med high heat. Boil 2 minutes.Drain well. Peel each clove without crushing. Transfer to non-metallic bowl. Add ginger and salt with enough water to cover. Refrigerate 2 days.

Drain garlic mixture, rinse in cold water. Drain agin. Pack ginger and garlic evenly into 7 clean hot half pint jars. Add 1 chili to each jar.

Combine vinegar, wine, and mustard seed in a saucepan, bring to rapid boil over high heat. Ladle hot brine over garlic. Leave 1/2 inch headspace.

Seal with hot lids.Process in water bath for 10 minutes.

This is from the Ball canning company.

Pickled Garlic
    Pickling mellows garlics pungent taste, creating a unique bite-sized burst of flavour to accent a variety of dishes. Toss pickled garlic into Italian spaghetti sauce, serve it in sandwiches, use as an antipasto or a garnish for salads.

Ingredients
    12 large heads garlic, about 1 3/4 lb (838 g)
    2 1/2 cups (625 ml) white vinegar
    1 cup (250 ml) dry white wine
    1 tbsp (15ml) pickling salt
    1 tbsp (15ml) granulated sugar
    1 tbsp (15ml) dried oregano
    5 dried whole chili peppers

Place 5 clean 250 or 236 ml mason jars in a boiling water canner; fill with water, bring to a rolling boil. Boil SNAP Lids 5 minutesÂnot longerÂto soften sealing compound.

Separate garlic bulbs into cloves. To soften and loosen skins, blanch garlic cloves in rapidly boiling water 30 seconds; immediately immerse in cold water, drain and peel cloves.

In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine vinegar, wine, pickling salt, sugar, and oregano. Bring to a boil; boil gently 1 minute; remove from heat. Add peeled garlic cloves to hot vinegar mixture. Stir constantly 1 minute.

Pack garlic and 1 dried whole chili pepper into a hot jar to within 3/4 inch (2 cm) of top rim. Add hot liquid to cover garlic to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of top rim (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim removing any stickiness. Center SNAP Lid on jar; apply screw band securely until fingertip tight. Do not overtighten. Place jar in canner. Repeat for remaining garlic and liquid.

Cover canner; return water to a boil. Process Âboil filled jars  10 minutes.* Remove jars. Cool undisturbed 24 hours. Check jar seals. Sealed lids curve downward. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store in a cool, dark place.

Makes about 5 - 250 or 236 ml jars.

Note: This recipe was specially formulated to allow home canners to preserve a low acid food  garlic  in commonly available boiling water canners. Do not deviate from the recipe ingredients, quantities, jar size and processing method and time. Any change could affect the safety of the end product.
    Note, 250ml. jars are half pints.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

I just peel and cut off the root ends. They get packed in jars and are pickled in a vinegar and pickling salt brine (no added water!). I make a few with a bit of dill added, as well as a few with some hot red pepper flakes added. very easy, very simple, no big problems.. Because I know people who will eat a quart of these in a single sitting, I usually get 3 pound jars of peeled cloves from Costco.

• trillium15
    16 years ago

Just curious, why does it turn green or blue?

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

There is an enzyme inside the cloves of most fresh that comes to the surface to show up that color. Its been seen many times and isn't a concern as to safety or any color changing, as it does fade out. Its also discussed in many other threads about the color change. Cauliflower also turns pink when pickled..

• melva02
    16 years ago

My favorite is the third/last one in Linda Lou's list. I'm pretty sure that's the one Jim likes too. The wine gives it a much more complex flavor than vinegar-only recipes.

I had the most delicious sweet & hot pickled garlic, a commercial brand that my mom bought at a garlic festival. To make that I think you could start with LL's first recipe. In general with pickles you can safely change the spices and add some hot pepper flakes (and one small hot pepper in this case since the liquid is 100% vinegar, no water). I might try to match the commercial flavor and I'll post here if I do. Maybe I'll go Ken's route and buy the pre-peeled garlic.

Melissa

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Lots easire that unshucking many bulbs! The hot ones I make do have a few dried red pepper flakes. I may try a weet version too, but adding a little Splenda to the ful strenth vinegar pickle juice. I can't enjoy wines due to high potassium. Even for that, I dug up ALL of my fancy seedless grape vines and destroyed them all, as well as removed the plastic trellis's they were growing on.

• jimster
    16 years ago

Melissa, your memory is better than mine. I copied one of Linda Lou's recipes, but can't access it right now (long story). I think you are right though. The first two have some ingredients which wouldn't be in the flavor I was seeking. I should've planted garlic last fall, but did not. Maybe a farm market will have it when the time comes.

Ken, what are those Costco garlic cloves packed in? Nothing that dilutes the pickling vinegar or otherwise messes up the pickling process I take it.

Jim

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

The Costco garlic is Christopher Ranch brand. They are in big square, clear plastic containers at 3 pounds weight. NO added liquids, just plain peeled garlic cloves in the raw. As mentioned, I cut off the darkened root tips, which is a lengthy process. The size of the cloves is sometimes seasonal, so I look for the jars that have nice big cloves in them. A 3 pound jars runs about $5. I see smaller versions of these jars of garlic cloves in most supermarkets too, in the refrigerated produce section. My Musik garlic looks really god this year. I add Dixondale fertilizer to them. I shoudl be harvesting about mid July if all goes well. Its a hard neck type planted in the fall.