Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

Apples , Apples, Apples

I have a multitude of Apples this year, I normally make apple sauce, and dehydrated apple chips, and sometimes Juice. But I need more ideas!

Whatever I do HAS to be sugar free, including NO artificial sweeteners.

Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• malna
    9 years ago

About the only thing I can think of is to hot pack the apples plain, using water or unsweetened apple, white grape or pineapple juice instead of a sugar syrup (per NCHFP: "In canning regular fruits without sugar, it is very important to select fully ripe but firm fruits of the best quality. Prepare these as described for hot-packs for each fruit, but use water or regular unsweetened fruit juices instead of sugar syrup. (For more information see additional publications for individual fruits.) Juice made from the fruit being canned is best. Blends of unsweetened apple, pineapple, and white grape juice are also good for filling over solid fruit pieces. Adjust headspaces and lids and use the processing recommendations given for regular fruits. Add sugar substitutes, if desired, when serving.")

You could then use them in a lot of different recipes. The color, flavor and texture won't be the same as fruit canned in sugar syrup, but should be acceptable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Sliced Apples

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

I canned apples last year, about 140 pounds, and my favorite was sliced in water. When I opened them through the year to eat we ate about half straight from the jar and about half fried with butter and cinnamon. Apples were sweet enough no sugar necessary. My grandson loved the juice and the applesauce the best. I am shooting for 200 pounds this year since we ran out in July.
    kim

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

You can make applesauce with other fruits blended in. I just made a huge pit of peach applesauce and another of strawberry applesauce. I find having a variety of flavors keeps applesauce from getting redundant at breakfast.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions, I am looking for ideas OTHER than applesauce, or apple butter, and such, In fact I ended up calling all my neighbors and giving most of my apples away. Mainly because I already have more applesauce, canned apples and dehydrated apples than my DH and I can eat.

I know I could do juice but ended up going away for 2 weeks for business, and just did not have time.

Thanks again

• myfamilysfarm
    9 years ago

Instead of making butter this year, I made jam and jelly. We didn't have an apple crop this year, but last year we had a bumper crop. I canned like crazy, didn't add anything except fruit fresh and water to the apples. Now they are great to just grab and make either jam or jelly from. also good for the fried apples or anything else. We didn't cut them thin, more of a 1/2-1" slice.

I also did lots of 'apple pectin' which didn't turn out as pectin, but wonderful juice.

• sosusie
    9 years ago

Fruit leather in the dehydrator is good. Freeze some in amounts for apple bread, muffins etc.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor