Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanwedding

looking for ss flat rack

got one at thrift store.. for over a buck... luv it. Now I need a bigger one. for my Grand gourmet 20 qt now..

dont want aluminum already have those in various sizes....cake cooling racks not bad but like the flat ones

It is like the ones in bottom of the pressure cookers. with the many small holes....

I checked for hours can only find the wire ones....

anyone with a source?

saw a GIAnt pot at TJ Max other day ... wow. If i was real lithe I could fit in it.... LOL probably Palm brand........

it must be for festivals etc.... I forgot to check price. It would be nice for a planter... would not rust just gotta put some holes in bottom...

thanks

Jean

Thanks

Jean

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

As long as you know the dimensions of the pot you want it for you can go to any of the sites that sell pressure canner parts and order them in several different sizes. But the odds are they will be aluminum since that is what the canning rack in all the pressure canners is made from.

There are stainless steel jar racks available at canningpantry.com but they aren't the flat sheet types.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Pressure canner racks

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks dave
    Checked all those sources. Will just keep looking at thrift stores etc
    I want SS.....
    I wish my pressure big canners came in ss. I have a 6 qt pressure cooker of SS but unfortunately the idiots put in a aluminum rack.....
    Have had it for a LONG time....
    Thanks
    jean

• Karen142
    12 years ago

I haven't canned yet but am gathering all of the supplies. I want to use my Presto 22qt pressure canner for BWB as well as with pressure and the inside diameter measurement is 12". I noticed while looking online that the Stainless flat bottom racks are 12" to 12 1/4" in diameter. Does anyone know of one just barely smaller than 12" in diam? Do you think I could bend a 12" one to fit?

• macybaby
    12 years ago

I gave up looking and just bought the cake racks. Found some really nice round racks for grills, but unfortunately could not find the right size (I needed something slightly smaller). They are still the open wire type, just way more heavy duty than a cake rack.

I don't have problems with the cake racks as long as I remove them as soon as I'm done. Leaving them in the water overnight causes some rusting. Yea, it's stainless, but not on the welds were the wires cross. This is where the grill rack would be so much nicer.

I have been able to use a rack that is about 1" less in diameter than the pot, and still done OK even with half pint jars. The rack does not move around once it's loaded, so I've never had a jar tip over off the edge.

I like to have the option of using different sized kettles for BWB depending on the number of jars I have, so I've tried to find something to use as an insert for my taller kettles.

I bought a glazed trivet that fits nicely into my tall 8qt pot. I can fit 5 pints or 7 1/2 pints in there. I don't use it often, but it's held up nicely.

I ended up with 2 12" cake racks, and as it turns out, one is slightly smaller than the other, one slides down (after angling to clear the rivets) and fits perfect in my 12 qt pot, the other does not. They were the same brand, just forgot I had bought one and then get another when I was placing an Amazon order (it was still on my "wish list")

Also, I tried bending one once, and that did not work well for me. Tried cutting one apart once too - that worked even less well.