Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I use a BWB that has rust spots?

Posted by alitn (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 14:50

My MIL gave me an old BWB. When I opened it, I found a lot of rust around the top (where the top of the water would be) as well as some rusty spots on the inside bottom where the enamel has chipped off. One spot looks thin, but does not appear to have sprung a leak. It is safe to use this pot? I have only canned a few times and I borrowed my grandmother's pot in the past. Also, the racks on both the pot my MIL got as well as my grandmother's pot are corroded, but still appear useful.

I can sterilize my jars in the dishwasher, correct? If that's the case, no water from the pot should enter the jars.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I use a BWB that has rust spots?

I sterilize my jars in in the dishwasher. I have two canning pots for BWB and they both have a little rust. I still use them. So I hope the experts chime in and say that's ok!

o

Dishwashers don't sterilize, they just sanitize. Boiling the jars for 10 mins. will sterilize but you don't need sterilized jars for anything that will be processed for 10 mins. or longer. That leaves very few recipes that require sterile jars.

In most cases the rust, at least most of it can be removed by scrubbing/scouring. A few small rust spots is one thing but personally I wouldn't use a pot that was very rusty as under certain circumstances water from the pots may be vacuumed back into the jars of food. It is your choice.

Dave

o

I wouldn't have a safety concern per se (I mean in terms of safety of jar contents.) but I might have a functional one. If there's a spot on the side or bottom that's quite thin and it gives under the weight of the jars and water, then you will be dealing with a scalding and, pardon me, unholy mess in your kitchen.

Superficial rust would not be a bother. Those kettles and especially the racks rust very easily.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here