Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato jam - co confusing

Posted by kristadarin (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 14:53

Hi everyone,

I'm super keen to make some tomato jam, and am finding wild discrepencies in terms of the amount of vinegar to be used. Knowing that tomatoes are high acid (but very low in the high-acid realm), I'm wondering what is safe. For example, Pomona Pectin offers a recipe with 2c chopped, crushed tomatoes, and 2T lemon juice. Based on the other discussions I've seen here, I think some would have cause for concern. Or not?

Also, I stumbled across this specifically not-for-canning recipe, but based on the Pomona ratios, it seems like it should be more than fine:

6 pounds tomatoes, peeled and chopped (I've made this with both roma and beefsteak type tomatoes and prefer the latter)
2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup dark brown sugar
3 cups sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp whole yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp ground yellow mustard
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp chipotle powder
1/2 cup lime juice
3 tbsp grated lime zest

The mysterious world of canning...

I would like to add my thank you to the previous poster's comment. This community is terrific and I thank you all for the time you take (and the patience you show) us newbies.

In other news, I harvested (foraged!) about 15lb of wild apples yesterday! Woo hoo!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato jam - co confusing

By my calculations, that is way beyond the amount of vinegar required for a mere 6 pounds of tomatoes. Not to mention the lime juice. So this recipe presents no problems at all.

However, it's always better to ask. I know I speak for others when I say we're happy to help.

Carol

o
RE: Tomato jam - co confusing

You guys are terrific. I was going to post my own "Thank you" message yesterday, but I saw that I was pre-empted. So here's an informal one. The support and knowledge that you guys offer is amazing. I feel honoured (Canadian, hence the "u") to be a part of this community.

Thank you.
k

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here