Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very Ripe Clapp's Pears -- what to do?

Posted by kathy_in_washington Zone 8 Sequim,WA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 23, 09 at 14:57

OK, I shouldn't have done this, because "out of sight, out of mind" happened. We picked all the beautiful red Clapp's Pears on our tree, and set them carefully on a shelf in our fairly cool canning pantry ... and forgot about them.

Now they're very ripe, and the interior flesh has some browning discoloration.

I'd hate to lose their value as an edible fruit, so can I make:

Pear Honey;
Applesauce with pears;
Apple butter with pears;
Use the Steam Juicer to make juice; or
Bake items with the pears and freeze for later?

I hope someone has some good ideas. We have 50 beautiful large red fruits just waiting to come to some good use!

Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very Ripe Clapp's Pears -- what to do?

Kathy, as long as your pears aren't spoiled, starting to rot, or taste bad, I don't see why they couldn't be used in pear butter, in sauce or as juice. They might not be as good in something like pear crisp or cobbler, and they're probably much too ripe to use in something like preserves.

Hurry, make SOMETHING with them, I'm leaning toward pear butter!

Annie

o

I'd vote for the applesauce with pears aka pearsauce ;) - first thing I though of when I read your post title - GREAT stuff!! And leave it a bit chunkier than you would applesauce.

Wife also makes pearsauce-raisin muffins - freeze well and especially good for breakfast or snacks.

Pearsauce-Raisin Muffins

1/3 c. butter or margarine, softened
1 c. sugar
1 egg
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. pearsauce
1 c. raisins (we prefer yellow/white ones)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin pans. Mix all ingredients, except raisins, until well blended. Stir in raisins. Fill muffin tins. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Dave

o

Kathy, You could always just core, chop and freeze for now while you decide. Have you tasted to make sure they still taste "right"? Otherwise, any recipe isn't going to come out very well. :-(

C&Ping that recipe Dave! Thanks!

I have Vanilla Pearsauce that I made last year from some overripe Bosc pears and vanilla beans. The flavor is a bit strong for me for straight eating, but I'm bettin' it'll be awesome in these muffins!

Deanna

o

• Posted by dogear6 7 / Richmond VA (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 23, 09 at 18:19

I would also suggest the brandied apple and candied apple recipes from the Ball Book. Adjust the recipe by not cooking as long since the pears are already so ripe.

I had the opposite problem - rock hard pears. I cooked them longer to compensate and they canned up beautifully.

I also attached a link for an applesauce recipe that can disguise imperfections in the fruit. Since your pears are so very ripe, you might want to cut the sugar back until you taste them. I would not peel the pears before hand. Cook until soft enough to put through a food mill, then add the rest of the ingredients and finish cooking.

I freeze this recipe, although it should can up just fine in a BWB.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chunky Spiced Applesauce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here