Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmcanning

Canning homemade tomato soup, HELP!!?

dmcanning
17 years ago

As I was contemplating all of the uses for the tomatoes this year I came across a few recipes for homemade tomato soup. This sounds so much better than the usually tinned version from the grocery store, so I just have to make it but I have a few questions and I hope someone out there can help me. :o

One recipe I found uses butter and flour, I thought I read somewhere that having butter and flour in a recipe that was to be canned would make a very gummy pasty product, is that true? Has anyone tried this recipe, or one like it, and liked the end result? And with this recipe it only calls for a WB and I get too paranoid with the acid being correct that I would probably want to pressure can it. Is that where the flour becomes a problem?

Homemade Tomato soup recipe #1

14 qrts ripe tomatoes

14 TBS flour

7 medium onions

14 TBS butter

1 stalk celery

3 TBS salt

14 springs parsley

8 TBS sugar

3 bay leaves

2 tsp pepper

1. WASH; cut up tomatoes.

2. Chop onions, celery, parsley, bay leaves.

3. Add to tomatoes; cook until celery is tender.

4. Put through sieve.

5. Rub flour and butter into smooth paste thinned

with tomato juice.

6. Add to boiling soup; stir to prevent scorching.

7. Add salt, sugar and pepper.

8. For smoother consistency put through sieve again.

9. Fill clean jars to within one inch of top of jar.

10. Put on cap, screwing the band firmly tight.

11. Process in water bath 15 minutes.

I found this recipe on one of the forums from LindaLou and it looks good but I wondered if I could spice it up a bit with some red pepper flakes and not have it affect the processing or the flavor with having the cloves in the recipe? Has anyone made this and liked it? And it says it only makes 4 pints is that correct?

Spiced Tomato Soup:

Cooking Directions:

---------------------------

4 quarts chopped peeled cored tomatoes

3 1/2 cups chopped onions

2 1/2 cups chopped celery

2 cups chopped sweet red peppers

1 cup sliced carrots

7 bay leaves

1 tablespoon whole cloves

1 garlic clove

1 cup brown sugar

2 teaspoons salt

Prepare Ball brand or Kerr brand jars and closures according to

manufacturer's instructions.

Combine tomatoes, onions, celery, peppers, carrots, bay leaves, cloves and

garlic in a large saucepot. Simmer until soft. Press through a sieve or

food mill. Add sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes.

Carefully ladle hot soup into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Wipe

jar rim clean. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass.

Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met

-- fingertip tight.

Process pints 20 minutes at 10 pounds pressure in a steam-pressure canner.

For elevations higher than 1,000 feet, increase pressure accordingly

following cooker manufacturer's recommendation.

This recipe yields about 4 pints.

I would taste it before I added the full amount of sugar in case you don't like it that sweet.

Lastly if there are any other recipes out ther for homemade tomato soup that can be canned let me know I am thrilled about the prospects but need all the help I can get to get the best possible results :)

Looking forward to hearing from everyone, thanks!!!

Denise

Comments (8)

• gw:marian-m
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have made this recipe. Our family didn't like it, preferring the storebought kind. I don't remember how many pints it made.
    If you are looking for ways to use up those tomatos, how about trying a puree or tomato juice mix? Good luck!

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

The first recipe is very unsafe. It has flour and butter, both no safe to use when canning most anything, especially soups.
    From National Center for Home Food Preservation:
    Caution: Do not add noodles or other pasta, rice, flour, cream, milk or other thickening agents to home canned soups. If dried beans or peas are used, they must be fully rehydrated first.

The butter coat the particles of food, same for oil, and can allow botulism spores to survive, even in a pressure canner.

The second one is fine, it is from Ball and tested for safety. I have not made any before, but I hear it is best to taste it before adding all the sugar, it can be sweet.
    Then, if you want it thickened, do so after you open the jars to heat the soup, and you can add butter or milk, too, then if you want.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Then there is KatieC's roasted garlic and tomato soup, it's yummy. I add cream when I open a jar and have cream of tomato soup, plus I use it as a pasta sauce in a pinch! Please remember, though, if you're going to can it, don't add the cream when it gets canned, it gets added later when the jar is opened and used.

Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
    Recipe By :Katie
    12 tomatoes -- *see Note
    2 carrots -- cut in 1" pieces
    1 large onion -- quartered
    2 whole heads garlic -- peeled (or more, to taste)
    olive oil
    2 cups chicken broth -- (or 3)
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
    cream -- to taste

Core tomatoes and cut in half. Place, cut side up, on foil covered cookie sheet with carrots, onion and garlic. Brush with olive oil. Bake at 400F for about an hour, or until vegies are roasted and a little blackened. Place in a large
    saucepan with the chicken broth and basil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Blend with a stick blender (or in small batches in a blender) until almost smooth. Add cream to taste.

To can: Process in a pressure canner, pints for 60 min. and quarts for 70 min.For dial gauge canners use 11 pounds pressure at 0-2000 ft., 12 lbs. at 2001-4000 ft., 13 lbs. at 4001-6000 ft. and 14 lbs. above 6000 ft. For weighted gauge canners use 10 lbs. pressure at 0-1000 ft., and 15 lbs. over 1000 ft.

*Note: These measurements are approximate...I use
    whatever it takes to cover the cookie sheet. This makes
    1 1/2 to 2 quarts of soup.

Annie

• shirleywny5
    17 years ago

If you don't have cream, a half teaspoon of powdered creamer works great in the Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup when serving. I also use it in my Roasted Red Pepper Bisque.

• emily65
    17 years ago

This one is great! I was a little concerned about the allspice but it just adds a depth of flavor that does not say "allspice".

Tomato Bisque

20 lbs tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped (about 3 doz large)
    2 tablespoons celery seed
    2 tablespoons whole allspice
    1 tablespoon dried tarragon
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 cup sugar, or to taste (I used Splenda)
    1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons salt

Simmer tomatoes about 30 minutes. Press through sieve or food mill. Return puree to pot. Put celery seed, allspice, tarragon, and garlic in spice bag. Add spice bag, sugar, lemon juice and salt to pot. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove spice bag. Put soup in jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. BWB 45 minutes for quarts - makes about 5 quarts

• dmcanning
    Original Author
    17 years ago

WOW!! Thank you everyone for getting back to me. I posted my message and then spent the day being mom running kids around and I can't tell you how thrilled I was to log on today and see everyone's info.

lindalou--I knew I had read somewhere about the flour, butter, etc. but try as I did I couldn't find it. Thanks for saving me from trying that recipe--at least not canning that recipe.

Mariam--which recipe did you try? #1 or #2? Just curious.

Thanks Annie for the roasted garlic version. I just picked a bunch of maters from my garden yesturday--before the storms rolled it whew!!--I'm thinking I'll have to try it this afternoon.

Shirley--with the 1/2 of tsp of powdered creamer is that per bowl? Pint?

missem--your tomato bisque recipe looks good too!! With the lemon juice in the recipe is that what gives it enough acid to do just the WB? Can I still pressure can the soup anyway? I know your concern about the allspice. I have a recipe for a brined turkey and it has allspice in it. I thought a little weird but it was tasty!!

I'll let you all know how it all turns out, as soon as I do the recipes. I have peach juice that I need to make into peach pit jelly first. Peach peelings and pits from 134 quarts of peaches makes alot of peach pit jelly!! :o But it will be great Christmas presents for friend and neighbors with a warm loaf of bread. YEA!!

Denise

• gw:marian-m
    17 years ago

I tried the first soup.

• dmcanning
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A couple of questions.

Missem--on the tomatoe bisque could I use brown sugar or does it need to be white sugar? How thick did your soup get?

I tried the roasted tomato soup. Hubby really liked it. He opened a bottle last week and had it for lunch and said it had a slightly sour--I think acidic--taste to it. He didn't want to add the cream because of calories, but I wondered if we needed to add a little bit or may a touch of sugar to cut this acidic taste? or is there something else?

Thanks Denise