Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timbowsr

mirro pressure canner jiggling

timbowsr
10 years ago

Hello all, had a quick question about a mirro pressure canner. My wife and i picked up the canning/preserving fever this summer and was testing out her mother's old pressure canner. My question is, all that i've read said that after the jiggler began jiggling you could turn the heat down but to keep it jiggling three or four times a minute. We could not reproduce that. On 10 lbs of pressure we were able to get it jiggling for about 25 - 45 seconds and then it would rest for about 25 - 45 seconds before it began jiggling again. Is this correct? Or do we need to practice and fine tune some more? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

jiggling for about 25 - 45 seconds and then it would rest for about 25 - 45 seconds before it began jiggling again

That sounds a little too slow. Did you vent it well first for the full 10 min before putting the weight on? That's the only way to make sure all the air is out of the canner and that it has a good head of steam built up for the weight to react to.

Go for 10-15 sec of hissing jiggle then 15 sec of sitting still. Better to have it jiggle too often then not often enough.

Which model, which weight type/shape?

Dave

• calliope
    10 years ago

I have an old Mirro and it's a Pee Willy on getting it to jiggle like it says it should. I thankfully have gas now, and it's been easier to regulate than when I had electric, but one has to bring it down ever so slowly and even a hair's breadth can throw it off. So, like you said, I err to too much giggle than not enough. Sometimes just re-setting the weight helps, sometimes the grille holding the pan is not in exact alignment, but they are touchy.

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

I agree. I just posted a detailed comment on the other (older) thread, but the Mirros take some getting used to.

I err toward excess jiggling too (hey, no smirking!), remember, the weight releases the extra pressure but you don't want it dancing around violently.

Deanna

• seysonn
    10 years ago

If you are using WEIGHT to control the pressure, forget the gauge. Weight is a mechanical safety/ pressure relief . It is difficult to control a big pot(canner or pressure cooker) precisely.
    So, to me it is ok if it jiggles after 30 secs or 1 minute.
    But if it continuously jiggles or takes several minutes, then your heat source is not well regulated.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

So, to me it is ok if it jiggles after 30 secs or 1 minute.
    But if it continuously jiggles or takes several minutes, then your heat source is not well regulated.

Different brands of canner weights are machined differently and each has a specific rate required for a valid indication of pressure.

Mirros are machined to jiggle/hiss/spin at a rate of 3-4 times per minute when at the proper pressure. Less than that means the pressure is below the required level. Of course you can process the food at a higher rate of weight movement. However LESS than 3-4 times per minute means you are processing at less than the pressure required.

Presto canners are machined to gently jiggle/rock continuously when at pressure.

Dave