Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apoem

canning apple pie filling-- help? No clear jell.

apoem
11 years ago

I have done a search on here and have not really found what I think I'm looking for:

Is there a safe apple pie canning recipe that doesn't use clear jell? Maybe a recipe that I can just thicken up when I dump it out of the can to make it into a pie? Is it possible to use the one here wihtout the clear jell?

I can order clear jell but right now I have millions of apples that I need to take care of.... plus I think I"m not a fan of clear jell.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/can_pie/apple_filling.html

or is this one safe?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/Recipe.aspx?RecipeID=15942&origin=detail&&Servings=56

Thanks everyone.

Comments (10)

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Don't use any recipe that calls for any thickener other than ClearJel.

What you can do (and you may like it better - I do) is can apple slices in a sugar syrup, adding spices to the syrup. I use cinnamon, nutmeg, mace and vanilla. It's delicious and versatile.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Apple Slices

• elvis
    11 years ago

I agree with Carol. That way you're all set for applesauce, apple crisp, etc. I sincerely hope you have invested in an apple corer/peeler/slicer machine. I love mine; makes the job a snap!

• kriswrite
    11 years ago

I personally use the Ball recipe that includes flour and FREEZE it. It's a fantastic recipe - perfect for pie, apple crisp, an ice cream topping, etc.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Same here- we use the NCHFP/Ball canning recipe and just leave out the Clear Jel. Then you can add your thickener of choice at pie making time.

Dave

• planatus
    11 years ago

I have millions of apples, too. Instead of canning apples for pies, I freeze those in pie-size portions. Putting Food By suggested freezing them using a pie plate as a form, so the frozen disc fits in the crust, but I wasn't so good at that.

For canning dessert slices, I use Pomona Pectin at half the recommended rate, and it thickens the low-sugar juice just a bit. Alternatively, add no thickener and thicken the apples with cornstarch when you make your pie. I can applesauce, dessert slices and apple jelly made from "nectar" from peelings and cores(yum!), but not apples for pies.

We also dry some of our apples, and freeze lot of frozen chunks for making juice or wine in the winter. Plus we give a lot away!

• apoem
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can just about everything apples. I have never done apple pie. I wouldn't look at canning apple pie filling because we really are not a pie family. But right now my freezer is FULL (Half a pig, etc) and I wanted to do something different...

I have sooo many apples. I have dried apples enough to last a year plus. I have made apple sauce until it's coming out of my ears. I have made apple slices canned and so on. SO now.... I'm thinking I"ll muck with apple pie filling a bit.

So can I can apple pie without any thickener? I Guess that is more like apple slices right? Just flavored apple pie slices.

• kai615
    11 years ago

I was actually wondering either the same thing, or where you get the clear gel. I was going to do the same recipe this week. I don't mind using the clear gel, just don't know where to buy. Can you buy in small quantity in the grocery store, or do you have to buy in bulk online? I don't really want to buy in bulk, I just want to make a small batch of this.

We like apple pie, but I am not sure how much I would use apple pie out of a jar though. I was really going to use this apple pie recipe to make quick apple turnovers. I will invest time in making apple pie from scratch when apple pie is needed, however, I will never make apple turnovers because they just seem like too much work.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

just don't know where to buy. Can you buy in small quantity in the grocery store, or do you have to buy in bulk online?

No, it is only available in bulk. 1 lb. bags is the smallest I have seen. Pull up all the discussions on 'clear jel' for links and sources info - there are many of them, some local. NCHFP also provides a list of sources.

Dave

• malna
    11 years ago

Be aware if you do order some, there are two types of Clear Jel available; "instant" and "regular". "Instant" does not require heat to thicken. The product will thicken once the liquid is added. "Regular" must be heated, and this is generally the preferred type to use in products to be canned.

• Joni Stafford
    3 years ago

What store did you find the clear jel?? I cant find it at any of the stores an I'm located on the west coast I bought some tapioca starch to use but I'm unsure on how to properly it any idea please an thank