Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brokenbar

Tomatoes & Mold

brokenbar
15 years ago

I was cruising the web and came across an interesting article regarding tomatoes and mold spots. I thought I saved it but now can't find it and have searched the web and still no luck.

The author, a PHd in something...states that tomatoes that have any visible signs of mold should never be used for anything, even when the moldy part is cut off. He said that the mold spores are throughout the tomato, you just can't see them. If the tomatoes are canned, it is a possibility that the mold will not be completely killed/rendered inactive in a hotwater bath. Pressure canned tomatoes were safe, albeit the mold spores can effect the taste over time. He also said that if you use your knife to remove the mold, if it is not washed in anti-bacterial soap and rinsed well, you will be spreading the mold spores to everything else you cut. For home gardeners, he recommended varieties that are not prone to splitting because these are the ones that usually develop mold in the cracks.

I know I have cut off a little moldy spot to use a tomato in a salad so apparently, I am stupid!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!