Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dolivo_gw

Confusion over pectin now, please help asap

dolivo
10 years ago

Ok, I was just at two different stores and in both stores I saw only two different type of Ball pectin. One was for freezer jam and the other was low/no sugar. I saw none that said "classic pectin" as stated in recipes in the blue book. I did find Mrs. Wages regular pectin. Am I missing something or were they just sold out perhaps?

Also, the mrs wages recipe says to NOT peel the peaches, and the blue book says to peel. If I follow the Mrs. Wages one, but rebel and peel the peaches, will the world end? Peels in my jam just doesn't sound good.

Is it possible to substitute the Ball Pectin in the blue book recipes with Mrs. Wages in the same amount? or is that a big no no?
Thanks!

Comments (30)

• kathy_in_washington
    10 years ago

A standard box of pectin (aka Classic Pectin, which is what Ball's is now calling it) is pretty much interchangeable. (Ball's, Surejell, Mrs. Wages).

I always peel peaches for making jam. (I don't peel plums, though)

I would guess that since this is the season, that the standard pectin (Ball's Classic Pectin) is sold out temporarily.

You should be fine substituting any regular pectin (with the appropriate recipe for cooked jam). Your jam will be wonderful.

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok thanks all. I did finally find the Ball Classic Pectin at Ace. Last jar. I guess it's popular stuff.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I substitute Mrs. Wages for Ball all the time with good luck, and vice versa. I also substitute the generic/bulk pectin.

Instant is for refrigerator/freezer jams/jellies
    Low Sugar is for recipes with less than 60% sugar to fruit
    Regular is full sugar with 90% or more sugar to fruit.

The world will not end, just because you used different pectin. The jars might not jell as well, but you can remake or use that batch for ice cream topping/pancakes.

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There she cooks. The first batch from the recipe from the blue book

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Looks nice, I can never tell while it's in the pan, whether I'm getting a good jel or not. 90% of mine have jelled great. Apricot is taking awhile to set, 2 weeks so far. I'm not in a big hurry, thank goodness.

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh that's something the instructions don't mention! How long until my jam "sets"?

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

That depends on what fruit you are using. I have found that peaches, blueberries and apricots take forever (it seems).

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

That depends on what fruit you are using. I have found that peaches, blueberries and apricots take forever (it seems).

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

not trying to be a pain, but could you define "forever"? Days, weeks, months?
    thanks!

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

not a pain, but not an exact science either. I usually have a good set within 1 week, but the apricot is now on week 2 and hasn't set well yet.

Most of my jams and jellies are well set within 2 days, some faster.

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How can u tell? Flip the jar over and if it stays put its set?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

The world will not end, just because you used different pectin. The jars might not jell as well, but you can remake or use that batch for ice cream topping/pancakes.

Of course the world will not end however that - "not set as well or having to remake" - is just what I was trying to save her from dealing with. Plus it won't taste the same when you sub.

It is one thing when one is experienced and knows what to expect and what to look for and how to fix it. But when they are new to doing it and I can help them avoid a potential problem I try to do it.

Not to mention that the Mrs. Wages recipe only requires 2 T of lemon juice rather than 1/4 cup for the same amount of peaches so the Mrs Wages clearly has more citric acid in their pectin. And it only requires 5 cups of sugar rather than 7 1/2 cups as the ball recipe does.

So the question remains - why sub different pectins when it isn't necessary and can affect the results? Why have to scour stores for a specific brand when the one you have will work fine? Certo has its own Peach jam recipe. So does Sure jell, so does Pomona and all of them are perfectly safe to use.

dolivo - mark this as Ball Peach Jam and then make a batch using the Mrs. Wages pectin and recipe and mark it. See which you prefer. :-)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: What is commercial pectin and how does it work?

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have two cups of mushed peaches left, not enough to make a third batch, any ideas for me? I hate to just pitch it.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Freeze it in a ziplock bag and use it for ice cream, poundcake or shortcake topping. Mix it in to yogurt. Puree it and mix with some maple syrup for pancakes. Add it to a batch of blueberry muffins for BP Muffins. :-)

Dave

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks dave!

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I keep hearing the "PING!!" from the first batch. Hehehe.......

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here they are, two batches of peach jam. I hope they turn out good! :-)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

If you look at the Ball Pectin Calculator, you can use those 2 cups.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

They look great. Just remember that it can take up to several weeks for them to set so don't panic.

Did you make 2 separate batches or double the recipe? Sometimes trying to double can cause some problems.

Dave

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave :) I did make two separate batches, but I confess that I intended to make a double batch the second time until I discovered I didn't have enough peaches left. So I guess it's a good thing I didn't?
    Are there any Jam recipes from the blue book that are safe to double? I'm going to make strawberry and raspberry jam tomorrow.

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

Woo Hoo! Looks great!

Just have fun trying the different things (additions, pectins, flavors, whatever). Other good stuff to try in peach: vanilla bean (I use paste), almond extract, rum, spices, Chambord (black raspberry liqueur and my favorite).

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks ballonflower! it was fun making them :-)

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Old-fashioned no-commercial-pectin jams can more easily be doubled but it takes an experienced hand to avoid over-cooking because of the increased mass. To jell a jam has to be approximately 65-67% sugar and with more fruit you have more water to evaporate out.

Also, keep in mind with doubled jams you risk the jam partially setting up in the pan, resulting in bubbles in the jar. It's better to do a small batch and get it into the jars relatively quickly so that it stays nice and clear. Don't pour the jam into the jars from a height as that aerates the mixture.

A jam can take up to six weeks to set, particularly some of the trickier varieties. Peaches are a low-pectin fruit and can be less cooperative. Even commercial pectin is not infallible.

Carol

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Are there any Jam recipes from the blue book that are safe to double?

As Carol said it isn't a matter of safety when you double the recipes. It is a quality and appearance issue primarily - possible poor set, bubbles, scorching, etc.

So I'd recommend holding off on the recipe doubling until you get a better handle on things. And until you at least have a chance to taste your first endeavors.

With some recipes even the most experienced jam makers won't try doubling them. No point in creating unnecessary problems and getting frustrated. :)

Dave

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok thanks, Dave and Carol. I guess I could be really talented and get two pots going at the same time. Then it would be like doubling the batch without actually doubling it together. hahaha. But seriously, I will just take my time and do one batch at a time. :)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I started off only using liquid pectin, got comfortable with it, then went to 2 pots. I timed them to work between each other, yes it was a balancing act.

Now doing the powdered pectin and liquid (for light colored).

I stumbled across this link and it's helped me alot, now have it saved as a favorite on computer. http://www.freshpreserving.com/tools/reference/pectin.aspx#

It's from Ball, and it works very well with my bulk pectin that I bought from Nuts.com. I bought 5# of bulk (=to 67 boxes) for less than $34 including shipping.

It tells you exact measurements for the 'normal' fruits, pectin, lemon juice and sugar. It will also allow you to change between regular pectin, no sugar pectin, freezer (instant) pectin. Very nice for it to do all the figuring for me.

I just measure my fruit, decide whether I want jam or jelly, decide which pectin I want to use, and it tells me how much sugar, pectin, and lemon juice if needed that I need for that amount of prepared fruit.

Only downside is sometimes I want to make jelly instead of jam and it doesn't have the recipe. Or an unusual fruit.

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Myfamiliesfarm, thanks for the info! :)

• readinglady
    10 years ago

For those interested in nuts.com (excellent products!) it's a good idea to get on their email list for special offers.

I just placed a large order because shipping was free, a substantial savings. We on the Left Coast often pay a premium for our shipping.

Carol

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I've only used them once, but now I'm a fan. I didn't want to order the $75 (didn't have the money), but if I did, I would have ordered LOTS. I have the 'freebies'. Even with the shipping, it's SO much cheaper if you are going to do much.