Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pressured Carrots

Posted by beeman_gardener 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 15:36

We are in the process of Pressure canning carrots. We followed the Bernardin book to the letter.
Raw packed chunks of Carrot, processed for 30 minutes at 11 lbs.
Not wanting to waste a whole seasons production we opened one jar as soon as possible and found them to be very soft. Over processed?
My Question. Can we reduce the process time some what, hopefully to get a firmer final product?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pressured Carrots

If you canned quarts, that is the correct time.

Home-canned product does tend to be softer, though the variety and condition of the carrots would also be a factor.

You can do what many commercial processors do and add pickle crisp (calcium chloride) for additional firmness. I don't have experience using it with vegetables, but IIRC Linda_Lou has used it with potatoes with good results.

Carol

o

Agree that home canned carrots will be softer. It is just the nature of the food in home canning. Some find it acceptable, some don't.

Young baby carrots that are firm and have less fibrous core development seem to hold up better for me. And pints are more firm than quarts. Using large chunks as opposed to slices helps (I would never dice them) some but adding Pickle Crisp (per label instructions) is the best solution I have found. And they are one of the few foods that I prefer to use raw pack on rather than hot pack.

Reducing the time is your choice. I wouldn't because I want that assured safety. But no canning police will knock on your door an haul you away. Just understand that they would be considered under-processed and so of greater risk to consume.

Dave

o

Thanks, but no thanks. The idea of me canning, growing etc is to avoid chemicals, so I don't see me adding that sort of stuff. I'll live with slightly softer.

o

You might want to do some research into food grade calcium chloride (Pickle Crisp). It isn't a chemical anymore than salt. It is a natural salt that in water breaks down into calcium (Ca++) and chloride (Cl−) an insoluable salt. They are both normal constituents of the body.

Dave

o

It is harmless, just a form of calcium.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here