Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning Tomatoes Basic Question

Posted by grlsixx Nor Cal (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 15:37

Ok, I have searched on here and can't find my answer. I would like to can my tomatoes diced, in pints, in juice. Can I do that safely? Do I follow the processing time from the Ball Complete Book for Tomatoes Packed in Juice (85Min Pints or Quarts BWB)? Will I run into a density issue? The Ball book says to prepare tomatoes whole, halved, or quartered. I have some really large tomatoes that I would like to use, but not sure if I can use smaller pieces. I really like the size of the commercially canned diced tomatoes or petite diced tomatoes.
Thanks for your help!
Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning Tomatoes Basic Question

Yes, "packed in juice" is 85 mins. for pints or quarts regardless of the size.

However diced tomatoes processed for any length of time are going to end up as soupy mush. That size is just too small to hold up to processing. Even coarse chopping as done for salsa turn mushy.

You'd get better results using the Crushed Tomatoes with no added liquid and the much shorter processing time.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Crushed tomatoes

o

I also like the crushed tomato method for my tomatoes.

o

Dave or Linda_lou,

Do you have a preference for BWB vs pressure canning for crushed tomatoes? I live above 6000 ft, so the BWB processing time is fairly long. I don't know if this affects the quality of the tomatoes.

Thanks,
Cheryl

o

Per NCHFP pressure canning results in a better quality product.

I always pressure can my tomatoes. At my altitude of 900+ feet I likely wouldn't notice any difference between the 2 methods but I find PCing tomatoes easier and more time-efficient.

Dave

o

Another vote for pressure canning crushed tomatoes. It's easier and the results work well as a substitute for commercial diced tomatoes. I seed mine because I don't like the flavor of the seeds, but I dump the seeds into a fine mesh strainer and mush out the gel for its flavor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here