Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oscar Relish

Posted by picklelady 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 14, 11 at 15:37

Does anyone know the origin of Oscar Relish, a sweet relish made of peaches, tomatoes, and peppers? I'm wondering who invented it--was it a guy named Oscar?--and where and when.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oscar Relish

• Posted by val_s z5 central IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 8:38

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question. Unfortunately it made me have one of my own. How and on what do you use Oscar Relish?

I see the recipe for it on the NCHFP site but exactly how do people use it?

Val

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Oscar Relish

o

I didn't want to post and bump this down, but now that there's a reply I will. I wondered the same things. Please let us know if you find answers elsewhere. Good luck!

o

The NCHFP site is where I happened to find the recipe for Oscar relish. I haven't tried the recipe, though I thought about doing so (before my daughter made all my nectarines into a tart). Made from peaches, tomatoes, peppers, onions, vinegar, and sugar, the relish sounds like a chutney but uses "pickling spice" rather than an assortment of spices more typical of chutney. I hope someone can tell us who Oscar is and how he uses his relish.

o

Can't help with the name origin but it is a great relish that is good on all sorts of meats especially pork, as a ham sandwich topping, mixed with sour cream for a vegetable dip, and mixed with hamburger for a different taste in meatloaf.

The combination of fruit and peppers is similar to a sweet n' sour sauce so it works with anything you'd pair with that sort of sauce.

Dave

o

Thanks all for the info! I printed out the recipe and will definitely try this one.

Sorry, can't help with the name source.

o

• Posted by val_s z5 central IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 20:47

Thanks Dave! To late in the year to try and make this now but I'm going to print it out and your comments on how to use it and give it a shot next year.

We love the Peach Apple Salsa and this sounds like it has a lot of the same things in it.

Val

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here